From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error using coupling property for analog input in LabVIEW DAQ

I am trying to use the coupling property of LabVIEW 7.1 to apply AC coupling to an input signal from a function generator. I am using the DAQ max icons to create the channel as well as start, read, stop, etc. in my labVIEW program and am using the DAQCard-6062E. card for data aquisition. i am trying to use a property node to apply the AC coupling and am getting an error message that says that 'the requested value is not a supported value for this property'. can you provide any guidence?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(3,622 Views)
You get the unsupported error because the daq card you're using does not support AC coupling. It is DC coupling only.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19
(3,622 Views)

I have a S series DAQ device and I faced the same problem. AC coupling is not supported by my device, therefore , I cant use the coupling property node and I realy need to have a AC coupled signal.

here is the signal I'm acquiring and the second picture is the way I want it to be looked like. Does anybody have any suggestions for me?

20150609_2.jpg

936b74b4101.gif

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(3,193 Views)
What size capacitor have you tried? A quick Google search for capacitive coupling found some sites that will calculate it based on a few simple parameters.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(3,170 Views)

thank you for your response.

I did not try using any capacitor. I dont know how to do that.

By using a capacitor, do you mean something like that?

capacitor.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(3,152 Views)

does anybody know how and where I should insert a capacitor in series with a signal to ac couple it with my daq device? does anybody have done that before?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(3,119 Views)

The way you show in the image you posted will provide AC coupling. You probably also need a resistor in parallel with the input to the DAQ device so the you can be sure there is a DC path to allow charging and discharging of the capacitor.  That resistor will likely determine the input impedance of your measuring system. Select the RC time constant to provide the low frequency cutoff you want for your signals.

Lynn

Message 7 of 19
(3,104 Views)

thank you so much.

can you explain more how I should usethe resistor in parallel with device? Do you mean to insert it in paralle with the capacitor?

So, I think I can calculate the size of the capacitor by this equation:

\tau = RC = \frac{1}{2 \pi f_c}

where:

f = desirable cuttoff frequency

R= resistance of the resistor which would be the input impedance

right?

Does it matter what resistor to use? or I just need to balance this equation?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(3,091 Views)

The resistor is not in parallel with the capacitor. If it is connected that way, it defeats the purpose of AC coupling by providing the parallel path for DC. The resistor is connected from AI+ to AI-.

The formula you have is correct.  The input impedance of your DAQ device is specified as 10^11 ohms in parallel with 100 pF.With the resistor connected as described above, the resistance is in parallel with the input impedance of the DAQ device. Commonly available resistors have much lower resistance than the input impedance of the DAQ device so the effective input impedance will essentially be that of the resistor. Suppose you choose a resistor of 1 megohm. And suppose that you want fc to be <= 10 Hz. Then from the formula, C >= 16 nF.  A standard value would be 22 nF.

Lynn

Message 9 of 19
(3,075 Views)

Thank you so much. it really helped.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(3,035 Views)