From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error output to 'write to spreadsheet'

Hi 

I dont know, whether someone talked about this earlier.

But I prefer error output for 'write to spreadsheet file' subvi, as it keep crashing the software with error 5.

.error.JPG

I want this, spreadsheet error.JPG

Thanks

Cube

Message 1 of 10
(4,810 Views)

This seems more like a problem report or request for help than an idea for a new LabVIEW feature. It is an important safeguard that an open file cannot be opened elsehwere, leading to unpredictable results.

Also, an error message is NOT a crash. I would recommend posting in the LabVIEW forum.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,807 Views)

Thanks for guidance altenbach 

I will post it in Labview forum.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,804 Views)

The problem is that the shipping VI handles the error internally using the error handler. I would agree that such a function should have proper error I/O (and a better connector pane arrangement).

It's basically a request for a replacement VI which will have this.

(4,763 Views)

Yair, I actually agree with you. I forgot about that, because I always prepend a file dialog to e.g. handle "canceled" and other errors, so I havent see this in a long time.

Still this should be composed into a more formal idea. Maybe the spreadsheet file VIs could be eliminated and their function wrapped into the plain text VIs (We already have polymorphic modes such as "read lines", etc. so why not add another mode "read Spreadsheet", which would expose an input for delimiter and transpose, etc.

In any case, the current VIs should be retired and rewritten.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,758 Views)

And for god/heaven/buddha/insert-your-favorite-deity-here's sake please don't have the word "spreadsheet" ANYWHERE in the name. Or anything that would make people think it works with Excel "spreadsheets".

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,755 Views)

> please don't have the word "spreadsheet" ANYWHERE in the name. 

I fully agree! What would you suggest instead? Here are some ideas:

• "read/write tabular data"
  • "read/write text table"
  • "read/write delimited table"
  • "read/write delimited text"
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,751 Views)

Thanks for Kudos:)

And thanks tst for elaborating my problem. I am realy bad in expressing things.

Now, I am trying to replace 'spreadsheet vi' to 'textfile'

you guys rocks;)

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,725 Views)

> that would make people think it works with Excel "spreadsheets".

actually, tab-delimited text files work fine with excel (of course there are some exceptions :D)

I would rather have this VI removed from the palettes and marked it as deprecated since it does not conform to LV style-guides (no error in/out) any more. I also guess that the pop-up dialog might block other LV threads which will be a serious issue if you have some data logging running. (I can find/build/provide several nice examples where a pop-up VI set to dialog appearance - and also user interaction on GUI elements - can block other loops running in LV)

Thus, I never use the pre-programmed write/read spreadsheet VIs, I always write my own version - usually takes 2-3 LV primitives + a few constants ...

just my 2 cents

-Benjamin

(4,701 Views)

I think NI might say the replacements for Write/Read Spreadsheet already exist. The Express VIs Write to Measurement File and Read From Measurement can be set to do almost the exact same thing. The only real difference that I could see is that it expects a time column and inserts an empty one if not provided.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,697 Views)