LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error 3005 occured at automation open using ActiveX richtext box

Solved!
Go to solution
Hopefully someone can help...  I'm trying to create an ActiveX richtext box to display a test script that I'm developing to the user in the event that they want to troubleshoot the UUT.  The program works fine on my development machine both as a VI and as an executable however on the target machine I get an error.  The error is "Error 3005 occured at automation open.  Object specified is not creatable in XXX.vi" 

I figured it was a microsoft thing and made sure both machines are at Windows XP Service pack 2.  I also downloaded the richtx32.cab file from microsoft and extracted it on the target machine figuring it may be missing the richtext activeX controls.  Nothing seems to work. 

Can anyone provide any help
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(9,466 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author NIDave

Hello,

Have you registered the ActiveX control or server you're accesssing on the target machine?  Here are instructions on how to do so:

How Do I Manually Register Type Libraries, ActiveX Controls, and ActiveX Servers?

I know that error 3005 can occur if you have selected a non-creatable object, which I suspect can occur for multiple reasons.  Not having the object, not having it registered, or perhaps having a different version may all be causes.

Does this help?

Best Regards,

JLS

Best,
JLS
Sixclear
Message 2 of 9
(9,452 Views)

So I just tested it and you're a genius!

I hadn't done that, in fact I never knew how, so thanks for that information, I'll keep a copy of that page in my references.

Thanks so much, it works flawlessly.  I searched microsoft's site for about an hour and never uncovered that.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(9,440 Views)
Awesome!

I have not always found what I am looking for at msdn.com either - I suppose that's a problem every site tries to tackle.  Anyway, if it's even "somewhat" NI-related, give our knowledgebase and/or ni.com a try.

Of course, the forums are also great 😉

Best Regards,

JLS 
Best,
JLS
Sixclear
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(9,424 Views)

I'm getting the same error listed above as I attempt to open the automation refnum for the activeX Excel.FormatCondition. I'm not sure if I have to register anything as suggested above (I'm using other activeX calls such as Excel._Application, Excel._Workbook, and Excel._Worksheet without error) but if I do need to register something I don't know what.

Andrew

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(8,202 Views)

Hi all,

I am having the same problem trying to use Automation Open on a tlb and getting the same 3005 error.

I am using Vista Ultimate 64 bit OS but working with 32bit Labview. I can not find the regtlib.exe on my machine to do the register.

Any idea?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(8,037 Views)

In the mean time I've successfully registered the type lib using regtlib.exe but still getting the error.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(7,998 Views)

I get the same error if I try to open a 64 bit application (Microsoft Word or AutoCAD) using the 32 bit version of LabVIEW. Is it impossible to open up a 64 bit application using ActiveX with a 32 bit version of LabVIEW? 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(7,414 Views)

Often 64 bit datatypes in ActiveX won't work in LabVIEW 32 bit.  Did the above solution work for you or did it still result in this error?

Scott A
SSP Product Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(7,392 Views)