LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

enum with arbitrary values

Is it possible to define an enum with arbitrary values as in the following C line :

enum { MINE = 5, YOURS = 12 }

oz
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,925 Views)
Hi Olivier,

The answer is No, unless LabVIEW 6.1 has added this.

Regards
Ray Farmer
Regards
Ray Farmer
Message 2 of 5
(2,925 Views)
Hi OZ,

No, it is not possible in LabVIEW 6.0.2 or lower.
I have read that it can be done in CVI and then exported to LabVIEW. If I had to guess I would probably say it was Jeane-Pierre Droilet (?sp), or Dr. Scott Hanna (?sp), or Rolf Kalbermatter (?sp) who posted a method for accomplishing this task.

If you are interested in finding out how this was done I suggest you use Brian Renken's Search engine at
http://www.searchview.net/
to find the posting (it was posted in 2000 or 2001 I think). I believe they are called "sparse enum's".

If you want to accomplish a similar functionality with pure "G" you could use a translator type sub-VI. The translator would use the use the enum value to index an array of constants that has the "Sparse-enum"s you want returned.
An advantage of this method can be realized if the translator is implemented as an action engine where the "indexed-array" is read from an un-initialized shift register. This would allow redifining the enums "on-the-fly.

I hope this helps,

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,925 Views)
Olivier;

Check Drolet's LabVIEW Bestiary. He created a very useful utility that allows you to create a G enum from a C enum statement.

Regards;
Enrique
www.vartortech.com
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,925 Views)
Just wanted to add that there is an easy workaround; just use a normal ring control to index an array of your arbitrary values. This may be less trouble than importing from CVI or C code.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,925 Views)