LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does anyone know how to calculate the impedance using waveforms

Divide the voltage waveform by the current waveform, then take the average.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 28
(1,411 Views)

I have done the calculations and presented them to the teacher. He wants the program to do the calculations. And for me to show him this. Is this possible?

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 28
(1,405 Views)

@studentproject wrote:

I have done the calculations and presented them to the teacher. He wants the program to do the calculations. And for me to show him this. Is this possible?

Yes.  Just do the math with the wavefoms just like you did on paper.  If you know the equations, just code those up.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 28
(1,399 Views)

@studentproject wrote:

Of course it is possible. Anything a calculator can do, LabVIEW can do. Now what calculation are you trying to perform?

What calcuations did you present to your teacher? - that sounds like a good place to start your requirement specification. Maybe you could give a summary in your next post or take a picture of the calculation or otherwise present us with the same information you presented your teacher.

And, what form are your inputs in? The different LabVIEW vis measure and output waveforms in different formats (arrays of doubles, waveform types, dynamic data types) - a snippet of the code you already have would also be useful.

You mentioned phase angle before. That is a completely different approach to the simple R=V/I previously mentioned. Are you measureing the phase angle in your program? Are you trying to give an answer in terms of complex impedence?

Once you learn to clearly state exactly what you want and exactly what you have already, then you stand a chance of getting what you want. Vague questions will just get you vague answers.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 28
(1,374 Views)

my teacher wants me to show a complex impedance, using the phase angle difference between the voltage and current waveforms in labview in order to calculate this. I understand the calculations behind impedance to do them by hand but I do not know how to get the values for them in labview, I was told there is a tool I can use in order to pull the array of values off the waveform and plug them in as inputs in the calculations. I currently do not have a proper code as I was originally just showing the waveforms and doing the calculations by hand but this idea was rejected. Is there a way to pull the magnitude values from the waveforms in order to get a complex impedance? I am required to show impedance and phase angle if this is at all possible. I was shown LabView for the sake of 2 classes two years ago so I am just trying to learn what is needed for the program to get the calculations to work properly.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 28
(1,338 Views)

this might help

Extract Single Tone Information VI

I'm guessing that with amplitude and phase information you can start doing some calculations.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 28
(1,329 Views)

yes that seems like it should help, do you know what tools I could use in order to give it an input of my measured analog waves?

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 28
(1,320 Views)

Like I said in an earlier post, that depends on what form your waveforms take. Where do they come from, and what data type are they?

Posting the code you already have will get you better answers than vague questions.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 28
(1,315 Views)

@studentproject wrote:

yes that seems like it should help, do you know what tools I could use in order to give it an input of my measured analog waves?

That completely depends on how the waveforms are saved.  Can you supply the files and how you are reading them?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 28
(1,314 Views)

using a test VI from UltimaSerial in order to get my device working. I'm using a DI-149 data logger from DataQ, I am measuring the real time waveform through a little RC circuit I put together to measure the voltage and current. I need to find out how I can get the amplitude values from the wave forms in order to perform the calculation for a complex impedance in LabView. Again I don't have any code for the calculations yet, I have been doing them on paper up to this point, I do not know how to extract the amplitude values off the waveform itself

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 28
(1,306 Views)