LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

display a message without waiting for user response

Hi,
I'm currently trying to find the best way to display a message, and multiple messages to the user, so that he is informed of the processing.
I've tryied the dialog box but it's waiting for user confirmation so it interrupts the execution of the VI.

Another precision is that I call the dialog in a case structure, so does it act?

I'm thinking about using a VI dedicated to the displaying of the message but I may not be able to display multiple message boxes.

Can anyone help me to use the best way?

Thank you in advance.

Bim

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,957 Views)
What you can do is create a second while loop that reads a queue and displays that while the main loop writes the messages to the queue. Here's a real simple example. The element data type here is just a string but you can use more complex data if you want. The shipping examples have some more that you should look at.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,948 Views)
The attached routine does just that.  It is a sibvi that puts the text message on the screen and quits, with its properties set to open front panel when called.  Thus, the program doesn't wait for anything but the message stays on the screen until you close the front panel.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,937 Views)

Thank you all for these solutions!

I'll try them and I'm quite sure I won't have to come back to this topic!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,931 Views)

An important detail, I'm using LV 7.1 ...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,926 Views)
You can build the message display into your vi by using the techniques shown in the attached vi (LV7.1.1)
It is just a string indicator with large font size, and using property nodes to show/hide when necessary.
- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,918 Views)

OK... just put a string on the front panel and connect to the vi connector.  Right click the icon and set VI Properties... Window Appearance ... Customize.... and click the Show Panel When Called box.

Here is a version saved in LV7.1

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,917 Views)