From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

datasocket, opc and complex application

I have to connect to a RSLinx OPC server using Datasocket. We have ± 700 tags that need to be read and updated continuesly to prevent critical errors from occuring. All the addresses for these tags are read from an ini file. How do I keep my screen up to date and still keep the app running at an acceptable rate? Programatically reading from the INI and then the OPC, slows the whole system down. What whould be the most efficient way of handling this? Im using Labview 6.1
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,206 Views)
Please indicate how often you want updates. Provided the update rate is resonable, it sounds like you should look into LabVIEW DSC.

I have used it to do 2000 tags and keep a web-page updated.

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,206 Views)
Update rate would be ± 1000ms. I currently use Labview base. In DSC, would I be using tags or how would it be done, and would it still be possible to read the addreses from a file?

My app slows down considerably when I do a DS Read. Is there a recommended way of doing it or should I link all the controls static?

Can I setup groups to get a constant update, independant of the cycle time of my app?

Thanx
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,206 Views)
Check out the below link.

After reviewing this, if you still have questions, post it to the "Data Logging and Supervisory Control" list where the DSC heavies hang out.

http://exchange.ni.com/servlet/ProcessRequest?RHIVEID=101&RPAGEID=135&HOID=506500000008000000DF350000&UCATEGORY_0=_49_%24_6_&UCATEGORY_S=0

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,206 Views)