LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data acquisiton at 1Ms/s

@mcduff wrote:

Colleagues dislikes about TDMS - Mainly it does not fit their workflow. Some people here use Matlab, (yes, there is a reader but always seems to have problems with some files), Python (same reason as Matlab), IDL (no importer available I believe), and to a lesser extent sometimes Igor or another program. (Igor may have an importer, I know Origin does.) They want to analyze the data, not just visualize it, and often batch process the data.

I'd have to dig around to find the article.  But the reader for Matlab (and probably Python) do not exactly work with the DAQmx Logging formatting of the TDMS file.  But you can use LabVIEW to read the file and write it again to use the "normal" TDMS setup.  But at that point, you might as well just read it and convert to whatever format your coworkers desire.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 12
(240 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@mcduff wrote:

Colleagues dislikes about TDMS - Mainly it does not fit their workflow. Some people here use Matlab, (yes, there is a reader but always seems to have problems with some files), Python (same reason as Matlab), IDL (no importer available I believe), and to a lesser extent sometimes Igor or another program. (Igor may have an importer, I know Origin does.) They want to analyze the data, not just visualize it, and often batch process the data.

I'd have to dig around to find the article.  But the reader for Matlab (and probably Python) do not exactly work with the DAQmx Logging formatting of the TDMS file.  But you can use LabVIEW to read the file and write it again to use the "normal" TDMS setup.  But at that point, you might as well just read it and convert to whatever format your coworkers desire.

Don't worry about it, I think I have seen it in the past. Actually, I have had the issue with the Matlab script where the first file in a series does not work, then all subsequent files work.

There are two things that can be improved with the DAQmx logging feature, in my opinion:

1. Ability to add custom metadata to the file. Vote for it here. (@crossrulz you should be familiar with this idea.)
  2. Ability to access the raw data. As of now there is no way to read the file without the scaling. Having access to the raw data would be useful when transcribing to other data formats that support attributes/properties like TDMS.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 12
(231 Views)