From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

csv file size difference between python and labview

Hello everyone,

I have a csv file stored from a DAQ system. This file has its columns separated by ";" and its size is 14387kb. There is an issue on the file storage logic that duplicates the datapoints stored, so the real data should be 7193.5 kb.

Here comes the mystery, I load the csv in python, drop the duplicates and save the file in csv, separated by ",". The magic is that the new file is 128kb!!! 56 times smaller!! I've checked the number of decimals and is the same in both files.

Anyone knows what is happening here?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(681 Views)

One thing is unicode. Doubles the size. So the second save could be non-unicode. 

Next, if the default is american CSV format, with comma as decimal point and semicolon as separator and values perhaps being stored as

xx,xxxx (3 or more decimals) and converting the CSV to have comma as separator, your file might have lost all the decimals. But I guess

that'd be too obvious and would have seen for yourself.  

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(675 Views)

Can you attach the csv file?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(643 Views)

@Basjong53 wrote:

Can you attach the csv file?

I'd also like to see the generating code to see if we can fix the duplication issue.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(622 Views)