From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

converting RGB to grayscale

Solved!
Go to solution

I am acquiring an image and the output appears to be a grayscale image, but the text states that it is in fact an RGB image. I'd like to save some space and convert it into a GrayScale image. I have labview 8.2 and I don't have vision. Is there any way to do this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(14,253 Views)

Hi:

What do you mean by “I don’t have vision”? In the VI attached I could see that you are using a Vision Acquisition Express VI and also an IMAQ Write vi.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(14,191 Views)

I was able to download a trial of IMAQdx but I don't have the majority of vision.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(14,188 Views)

Hi,

Here is a almost solution, try if you can get best color, i am viewing black and white :S.

VI Snippet.png

Best Regards,

Luis A. Mata C.
Ing. Electrónico
Whatsapp: +58-414-1985579
BBM Pin: 2B83E99A
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(14,171 Views)

I only have LabView 8.2. Can you please upload an older version?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(14,169 Views)

If the RGB image is greyscale, it means that the R, G, and B components are the same for each pixel. Simply create an appropriate color map and retain one of the components as index into it.

Message 6 of 10
(14,160 Views)

Hi wiswana,

To convert to a grayscale image we will need the R, G, and B values from the image. The most common technique for converting to a grayscale image is to use a formula like the one below (see this thread for code and more discussion):

Grayscale = 0.299R+0.587G+0.114B

Note: these coefficients are subjective and can be changed depending on your tastes (this link talks about this in depth).

------------------------------
Bill E. | Applications Engineer | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(14,158 Views)

I think you describing the conversion of a color image to a pleasing greyscale image.

The way I read the question is that the image is already greyscale, but just represented in 24bit color at the moment. I don't think your scaling is needed and would not make a difference.

Maybe I am reading the question wrong....

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(14,150 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author vviswana

Hi,

Here is my code fixed at LV 8.0.

Front Panel.PNG

Best Regards,

Luis A. Mata C.
Ing. Electrónico
Whatsapp: +58-414-1985579
BBM Pin: 2B83E99A
Message 9 of 10
(14,130 Views)

I made the mistake of trying this on a picture of my face. It works great - the the image's values are flipped. (So you get the eerie, x-ray image effect).

If this isn't what you want, remove the 'not' vi from the loop, and you get quite a visually pleasing result. Thank you for the algorithm to convert color to grayscale, it was exactly what I needed!

Using Labview 2022, Windows 10
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(9,094 Views)