From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

communcation between projects?

Hi all,

I am wondering how to send messages between different projects. It seems (from little testing I tried) that notifiers and semaphores cannot be passed between projects (maybe I have to change some of the project properties). So I am wondering what is the mechanism for doing this, or should I develop everything that would want to communicate within the same project.

Thanks,
EOF
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(2,793 Views)

It is quite interesting to know that you wish to communicate between projects. Smiley Happy

May I know why do you wish to do so?

Is it because that you are NOT going to build an application for your or your customer's use? Smiley Surprised

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(2,787 Views)

Dear Partha,

I am glad that you are interested. :smileywink:

It would obviously be possible to put everything in the same project, but it feels a bit rigid to me, so I am wondering if there is something like sockets in Labview that will allow any running VI to communicate with any other.

Thanks for your help, I am not very familiar with the archotecture of Labview.

EOF

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(2,777 Views)

EOF wrote:

I am wondering if there is something like sockets in Labview that will allow any running VI to communicate with any other.

Prabably Datasockets... ?!

Did you try this yet or at least have a look into it?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(2,774 Views)
Also, Shared Variables?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(2,773 Views)
Thanks, this looks like it could be the way forward.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(2,765 Views)

If I was trying to communicate with VI's on different platforms I would use shared variable.

If I was trying to communicate with VI's on the same platform I would use a functional global.

Brian
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(2,749 Views)

BrianMcLean wrote:

If I was trying to communicate with VI's on different platforms I would use shared variable.

Do you mean OS or N/W by this term 'platforms' ?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(2,723 Views)

EOF,

Please take a look at this thread, which discusses the same topic.

Chris M 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(2,717 Views)

Hey guys,

Global shared variables are certainly one way of communicating between applications, but they do open the door to certain issues, such as (the dreaded) race condition. The pitfalls of overusing glabal shared variables is discribed in the following document.

Are LabVIEW global variables good or bad, and when is it OK to use them?

This document also suggests the use of glabal functional variable to combat this issue. Admittantly, they do require a little work work to set up. But the could reduce hours of headache in the long run. If you are new to the concept of "functional globals", please navigate to the following links to some excellent example code on the community pages.

http://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-2143

http://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-5403

Kind regards to you all

Rich Roberts
Senior Marketing Engineer, National Instruments
Connect on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/richard-roberts-4176a27b/
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(2,689 Views)