LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

client/server

im using labview 4.1 and i need to connect my program thru intranet so
i could monitor AND control it from other computers..
i checked the simple client and server examples and i was able to run
them.. but how could i connect my program to this example??
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,191 Views)
There are many ways of doing this. Can you say a little more about your application and what exactly you are needing to be able to do fron the remote system?

For example, what does the data that you are going to be monitoring look like? Are you going to need to transfer data to the local computer from the remote? Generate reports?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,191 Views)
Hi Mike..

Im working on a Building Management System project where i need to
monitor/control a house. Control the light and AC, and monitor the
doors, windows, temperature and elevator.
The program doesnt run if i monitor and control at the same time (it
gives error that it cant transfer data in both directions [i dont know
or to solve this]). They are all digital except for the temperature.
After I solve this problem, i need to monitor this whole thing from
another pc and control it. I.e. to switch the lamp and AC from the
client and server, and monitor the rest.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,191 Views)
Frankly, the simplest solution for you would be to upgrade your version of LabVIEW to 6.1. A lot of LabVIEW programming is required to make separate client/server programs where the client also has some command capability and the data server also has to be able to receive those commands. If you want to be able to monitor and control with a web browser, you'll have to some of the programming in html and maybe something something like Java. With 6.1, you write a LabVIEW program that works locally and then a quick step to publish it as a web page and you're done. If you want to pursue a solution in 4.1, I would recomend the book "Internet Application in LabVIEW" by Jeffrey Travis. You can order it from his w
ebsite
or from Amazon. He discusses TCP/IP, Datasocket, Remote Data Access, CGI, Java Script, the LabVIEW Internet Toolkit, VI Server, etc. Not all of these functions are available with 4.1 but you should be find something that will work for you.
Message 4 of 6
(3,191 Views)
Dennis gives the best solution, however if you can't upgrade you might be able to get by with something like WinVNC that allows you to control the remote PC--not specifically the LV application.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,191 Views)

I am trying to monitor a web page built with Java for changes in a certain tab.  This is a third party page, so I cannot modify anything on that end.  When the web page changes notifications are sent to the system tray and appear as pop up messages, the problem is they only appear for a few seconds, and I need a sound to keep going, until somebody acknoweldges this message.

Does anybody have any idea as to how to achieve this?

For instance:

1. Is there a way to monitor messages from the system tray through LabVIEW?

2. Is there a way to llok at a web page (java based) to find changes within a tab?

Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

A.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,832 Views)