LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot add subVI

Recently, when I try to add a subVI by right-clicking on a block diagram, selecting a VI with the "Select a VI..." menu item, I get the file dialog box and select a VI....

But it doesn't drop a VI on my block diagram; instead, the parent VI's title bar flashes about 6 or 7 times quickly and there is no subVI on its block diagram.

I could write all my code in one giant VI, but it is more efficient to use subVIs, so I'd like to get this working again.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(5,709 Views)

That does sound strange and I have no idea why it would be doing that.  Is LV possibly putting the subvi somewhere else on the block diagram?

Have you tried the same steps with a new blank vi to see if it works?  Sometimes vi's get corrupted and do strange things that make no sense. 

You could also try dragging a vi from windows explorer to the block diagram and see what happens.  Then again you could also write the code you want, select it and then go to edit and select CreateSubVi.

You might also want to add what version of LV you are using and possibly attach your code to see if others have the same problem with it.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(5,695 Views)

I had a corrupt VI. I can't remember what the issue was because it was a long time ago. What I did was create a new blank VI then copy and paste everything from the block diagram of the corrupt VI into the new one. It solved whatever issue I was having.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(5,688 Views)

Usually related to an "insane" object on the block diagram..  A rogue object that lost its reference to the actual underlying code.

I still see the occasional fpsane error.

But I have seen a few instances where a VI goes into the Twilight Zone for unknown reasons.  Fortunately, I save often and make daily backup copies.

Try what Steve suggested.  Using sub-VI's is an appropriate approach, especially if it is for functions that are re-used.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(5,679 Views)

@Ray.R wrote:

Usually related to an "insane" object on the block diagram..  A rogue object that lost its reference to the actual underlying code.

I still see the occasional fpsane error.

Here's a post on how to debug an "insane" VI:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Insane-object-at-BDHP-256D8-in-vi-graphics-0X80-wire-segment/m-p/204...

It's helped me recover a few VI's lost in "the twilight zone".

Message 5 of 13
(5,670 Views)

Amazing.... I learned something new today..

I always learn something new...

That's why I love this forum..

🙂

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(5,659 Views)

Other info:

* Am using LabVIEW 2011

* I can add a subVI by dragging and dropping, so I can get by with that

* It is not an insane VI; the problem happens with completely new VIs

* That title bar blinking thing happens whenever I change from any other application, including Windows Explorer, into LabVIEW

Since I can make subVIs happen via dragging and dropping, this is no longer that big of deal; just a curious LabVIEW bug.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(5,650 Views)

@bmihura3 wrote:

Other info:

* Am using LabVIEW 2011

* That title bar blinking thing happens whenever I change from any other application, including Windows Explorer, into LabVIEW

Since I can make subVIs happen via dragging and dropping, this is no longer that big of deal; just a curious LabVIEW bug.

Thanks

Probably time to let IT get on the machine for a while-  That sounds like malware.

Try repairing the LabVIEW install first- you might have inadvertantly caused a corruption if this only happens with LabVIEW.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(5,645 Views)

@bmihura3 wrote:

Other info:

Thanks

The only time i use the r-click->select vi... approach is when i replace type-defs. 🙂

Does drag'n'drop work between vi's?

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(5,616 Views)

@bmihura3 wrote:

Other info:

I should have specified that there may be an insane object somewhere in the VI that you are trying to place a subVI into.

I have not seen an exact same behavior as you are having, but often selecting all the code and simply copying it into a new blank VI solves weird problems.  Occasionally, you'll see the cause, which is a small length of orphan wire which was located under another object (usually another wire).

I never found the root cause of the issue and how to avoid them...  Just happy to know there is a workaround..  😄

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(5,603 Views)