LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can we read any device using labview?

hi
is it possible to read any device using labview.i am trying to interface mettler TC11 instrument using labview.i used I/O instr asst but it not recognising the device.i also tried visa resource and visa write but no use.it not even recognising the device.is it possible to read any device using labview or are there any limitations.how can i know whether i can use labview with this instument or not.are there any alternate choices available in labview to establish interfacing with this device.
thank you
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,298 Views)
You're going to have to provide a few more details. Like, how is the device actually connected to the computer? Serial, GPIB, USB, Bluetooth, rubber bands?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,295 Views)
we are using RS 232 C
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,293 Views)
The answer is yes, LabVIEW can read any RS-232 device. With serial communication, you have the possiblity of a large number of problems. The serial settings (baud rate, parity, etc.) might be wrong or the cable may be the wrong type. First, you should try using Hyperterminal before you try to write your own program. The vendor will often provide information on how to set this up and will provide support if you can't get that to work. Since Hyperterminal has shipped with every version of windows, every vendor will be familiar with it. If you can't get Hyperterminal to work, there's no point in trying LabVIEW. Once you have communication established with Hyperterminal, then LabVIEW should be easy. You'll have to make sure that NI-VISA is installed and you'll have to write your program to send the proper termination characters.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,276 Views)
No,

LabVIEW can't talk to any device, like my bycicleSmiley Very Happy

But your device with RS232 it can read it. You can just use a VISA read, and the data runs into your VI. But maybe you have to tell the device to start the data sending.  Try searching the  Instrument drivers network. This has no TC11 but has TC110. Or maybe you can use a driver for another version. If you have no luck at all you have to dive into the instrument manual that lists the command set. and develop your own drivers, here you can use the template of labview.

Ton

...and Dennis beat me to it

Message Edited by TonP on 08-04-2006 10:26 PM

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,276 Views)
Hi
Can we read USB device using Labview 8. Our application can be better explain with the help of block diagram. Please find the attached Document. In this application , we are using a sensor having SPI interface.Then with the help of National Instruments USB to SPI converter we are interfacing it with the PC.

My question is can we read the data from a sensor which is connected to PC using NI USB to SPI converter.

Can anybody help me to solve this problem.

Thanks & Regards
R J
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,220 Views)
If you are talking about the USB-8451, the data sheet says it comes with a LabVIEW driver. That's as much as I know about it. If you have a specific problem, you should start a new thread and explain in detail.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,191 Views)

Thanks for reply.

As we are planning to use NI USB 8451card (we have finalized it but still have to purchase).

Now my main question is ,

should i treat it as USB DAQ card & use DAQ VIs

or as an USB device which communicate using text based communication & use VISA VIs.

Please reply as soon as possible

Thanks & Regards

R

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,152 Views)
You can use this as a DAQ device!

Ton
Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,139 Views)
Hi R,

The 8451 is actually not a DAQ device, even though it looks very similar to the USB 6009 DAQ device. See this thread for some more information.

Thanks!

Regards,
Ebele O.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,112 Views)