LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can we configure EPICS server IO server without using DSC or RT module..??

I am using Labview 2012 version..nd I have installed Labview EPICS Client I/O Server..I want to ask that can we configure EPICS server I/O server without using DSC or RT module..??

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,218 Views)

I'm afraid the answer is no. The server is only available in the DSC module, at least at the moment, and for the immediate future. I'm not certain of what the plans are after that, but I'm keeping interested - to put it mildly, as the experts at NI are probably aware. There was a presentation about the future of NI/LabVIEW and EPICS at the last EPICS collaboration meeting two weeks ago, and they are looking at what is supplied and what is needed.

If you are familiar with EPICS then there are options available to you, in that you could write an IOC to run alongside it, and spawn the IOC from the VI (you could certainly do so with a batch script under windows using the command shell, I'd hope that the same can be done from LabVIEW under Linux). Alternately if you have someone else around who is familiar with EPICS they could write the IOC for you. You could then either use the NI client in LabVIEW, or there are others out there, and CALab is probably the next one to look at from a client point of view as it was certainly written as a really good EPICS client.

If you are a strong LabVIEW programmer, and new to EPICS, then the path I took originally is likely to be your best bet, and that will involve purchasing the DSC module (I was lucky, although we used 64-bit LabVIEW and so didn't have it, our licenses do cover it, so I've just had to move back to 32-bit for EPICS work in LabVIEW in order to use the DSC module). Of course, if you are running it on hardware then I think the RT module may let you access it, but I've not used that to any real extent. VIs on a windows machine as EPICS client or server I know, the rest of it, not so much.

Hope that the information helps, even if there is a lot after the answer to the original question, but this is a current situation for me at work, and integrating LabVIEW and EPICS is a challange we have to meet, so the options are something we are very aware of.

Kathryn

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,200 Views)

Thank you Kathryn...this is valuable information,,!!..may b I should continue with DSC module..!!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,187 Views)