LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interfacing a network HUB with LabVIEW.

Solved!
Go to solution

I want to converge three data inputs, in which two are video outputs from an IP converter and one is from cRIO 9012, to a single point and transmit it wirelessly to my Laptop. Is it possible to do it using a network HUB and please guide me how to distinguish different type of data coming from a network HUB using LabView?

Regards

Ali

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,018 Views)

If these are all ethernet devices, connect them all to a wireless router to the LAN side. Connect with the laptop via wireless.  The wireless and LAN networks are bridged by default, so everything is on one flat network.

Since each device has a unique IP address, there will be no confusion about traffic sources.

What is the data rate of the video converters? Are you sure you have enough network bandwidth?

Message 2 of 11
(3,000 Views)

Yes these all are giving output through Ethernet!

My knowledge about networking is not that good so I don't know what is the network bandwidth of wireless router we'll use. Can you please tell me what is bandwidth of typical Wireless Routers? Will a typical Wireless router be able to handle a single video input from video converter and data input from cRIO 9012? 

So basically what you mean by saying "everything is on one flat network" is that we don't need to worry about seperating data coming from video converter and cRIO. LabVIEW will handle it all by itself?

This is a video converter we are using right now:

http://www.nucleuscomputer.com.au/grandtec/PDFs2010/video_server_1port.pdf

Thank you very much for your response!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(2,987 Views)

@ali bin Wahid wrote:

Yes these all are giving output through Ethernet!

My knowledge about networking is not that good so I don't know what is the network bandwidth of wireless router we'll use. Can you please tell me what is bandwidth of typical Wireless Routers? Will a typical Wireless router be able to handle a single video input from video converter and data input from cRIO 9012?

That's entirely dependent on the wireless protocol that's used (a, b, g, n), the distance on the devices from the router, and any interfering items (like walls, big metal slabs, that sort of thing). You really need to read the specifications on the wireless router that you have.

So basically what you mean by saying "everything is on one flat network" is that we don't need to worry about seperating data coming from video converter and cRIO. LabVIEW will handle it all by itself?

Not directly. You have to open connections to devices (or accept connection requests from devices), and then you send/receive data over that connection. Please take a look at the TCP/IP examples that ship with LabVIEW.

Message 4 of 11
(2,973 Views)

Hi Alli, 

What are you really trying to accomplish?  What is the purpose of using LabVIEW in your application?  Do you want to synchronize data coming from the video cameras with data from the cRIO?

For the video cameras, do you know how the data is being sent?  In other applications I have seen, the video camera will have some activeX interface that allows you to directly interface with the video camera.  Or are you planning on reading in the raw data and processing it later?  It looks like the camera comes with a web interface.  Displaying a website in labview is fairly straight forward.

These are all things you will have to assess.

Ryan

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(2,960 Views)

Thankyou for the reply I will do the research on these topics.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(2,948 Views)

These cameras and cRIO are mounted on an Unmanned ground vehicle and the application has been developed in LabVIEW to control the motors and to monitor video from the camera. So basically we are using Labview to create stand alone single application for this product.

The output of camera is analog and its been fed into ip video converter so the video is in ip form. I just want to send the data from cRIO and camera using a single wireless router to a Laptop. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(2,946 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author alibinwahid

It sounds to me like all you need to do is view the video that is being  broadcast over the network.  The pdf you linked to mentions that it is easy to view this video in a web page.  I suspect that this is going to be the simplest way to implement your system.  You can imbed a webpage in your VI.  Check out this example for a simple LabVIEW browser.

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-2042

Ryan

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 8 of 11
(2,927 Views)

Thankyou Ryan, It seems like a very smart solution. I'll try to implement it and let you know 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(2,923 Views)

Hey Ryan, The solution was simple and It worked perfectly, I am responding a bit late but still thankyou for the help. Just a quick question can extract data (say longitude and lattitude) from a website using this vi. and use it in my program?

Ali

Mechatronics Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(2,817 Views)