LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can I integrate my exe program into my LabView software?

I developed a LabView software. Can I integrate my old xx.exe program into this LabView software? Any information on this point would be appreciated.
Yun
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(3,804 Views)
Well, theoretically it's possible. What version of LV was the original version written in? What version of LV are you using now? Did you enable ActiveX access when you made the executable?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(3,804 Views)
LabVIEW does not have a mechanism for allowing any executable to run in a LabVIEW window. As the previous poster suggested, you can do this if the exe has been coded to be an activeX control.

You might be interested in the system exec VI. This allows LabVIEW to launch other executables.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(3,804 Views)
On this subject, has anyone controlled a DOS EXE (not ActiveX EXE) through
LV. By controlling I mean, where standard I/O is re-directed to LV
application. That way I can send keystrokes to the DOS EXE and capture its
output.

Sometimes you have these old programs in EXE format and you need to put a
nice shell around them. Someone on CVI forum had suggested VC++ library to
do this but I haven't pursued much. Tcl is really good for this kind of
stuff, but the pointy haired one only wants LV.

vishi

"Jeremy Braden" wrote in message
news:50650000000500000015F10000-1042324653000@exchange.ni.com...
> LabVIEW does not have a mechanism for allowing any executable to run
> in a LabVIEW window. As the previous poster suggested, you can do
> this
if the exe has been coded to be an activeX control.
>
> You might be interested in the system exec VI. This allows LabVIEW to
> launch other executables.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(3,804 Views)
I know of no such technique for doing this.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(3,804 Views)
The way to do this is to redirect the text output from the program to a file, and then read the file into LV. I unfortunately don't have all the information with me, but do a search in the archives here. The way I learned about is was a discussion a couple years ago. You can also check online for information related to writing DOS batch files--which is how you actually run the DOS program--that should get you pointed in the right direction.

So it is possible, messy, but possible.

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(3,804 Views)
Ah HA!

I knew I had it somewhere... I looked through some old code and the one that does the trick is System Exec.vi that Jeremy mentioned. Not only does it allow you to launch other executables, it also returns the standard output from the program to LV.

It's located in a library System.llb--or at least is on my computer (V6.0).

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(3,804 Views)

Hi Every one, Currently i am working on remote lab for power factor correction in labview and i have a instrument(Electric energy saving tester) that can measure power factor, voltage ,current etc and also supply voltage  to the instrument, but problem is that i dont have labview driver for the  instrument and also dont have programming guide ,so i can make  driver for this instrument. 

can anyone tellyme how run .exe file in labview window??

Moreover i used one example  which on following link:http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/how-to-run-exe-file-by-labview/td-p/303946  (Run program.vi) and is launch .exe file in windows not in labview window.

so is it possbile to run .exe file in labview window and control my instrument.

Best regards,

Patel

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(3,201 Views)

Thanks for reply, but my project Aim is to make remote lab for power factor correction .i used that example it works, but how can user can acess that .exe file.

Moreover, if i used Run Program.vi which on http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/can-I-integrate-my-exe-program-into-my-LabView-software/m-p/85165/hi... ,than is it possible to access that (Run Program.vi) remotely because my instrument only connect to my PC through RS232 to USB converter not with user PC.so, it can only open .exe file in my PC.How can User execute that .exe file?

sorry for any inconvenience

Best reguards,

Patel

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(3,131 Views)