From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

calling executable from block diagram without stopping current VI

How can I call an executable labVIEW-built application from a running VI block diagram without stopping the running VI?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,462 Views)

You would have to use teh system exec VI like you would any other external exe. You will not have access to anything like the connector pane of your application.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,458 Views)

But this would stop temporarely the caller VI .

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,456 Views)

But this would stop temporarely the caller VI .

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,449 Views)

You could include this in a small parallel task in your code. This particular task would wait for the external application to complete but your other tasks would be able to run.

Mark Yedinak
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,444 Views)

Sorry, but as I'm a beginner, would you tell me how to add a 'small parallel  task' to my code? Thanks alot.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,435 Views)

The easiest way is to create two While loops on your diagram. These loops should be next to eacho, not one inside the other. Also, there should be no wires connecting the two loops. It is OK if you have a wire branched as inputs to the two loops but you should not have the output of one wired to the other loop. The code in each While loop will run independently of each other.

You can look at the examples that ship with LabVIEW for producer/consumer and parallel tasks for more information.

Mark Yedinak
LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,426 Views)

Thank you for your help. I'm done with this but I guess I will bother you again very soon ... if you let me.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,409 Views)

Then mark Mark's post as the solution to your question rather than your thank you message to give him proper credit.

First you will need to go to the options menu to the upper right of your message to unmark it as the solution.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,397 Views)