cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control desktop PC carrying hardware by laptop

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm a rookie with Labview. I've done some smaller programs, but that's it.

I have some PCI Labview cards here, for measuring analog, digital, GPIB and so on. Is there a possibility, to use a normal Windows copputer to "carry" this hardware and control everything with a laptop connected by ethernet?

If this is possible, what do I need?

Thanks

isotta

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,278 Views)

HI Isotta,

easiest would be to use Windows RDP or VNC (or some other software like those)...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,274 Views)

Is there any reason you can't use a PCI expansion chassis rather than a desktop PC?  This is the first thing I found doing a quick Google search.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,271 Views)

Hello,

the remote desktop solution is such a thing. The reason why I want the split setup is, the hardware needs to be integrated in a measuring system, but I also want to program at home. This speaks against a RDP solution.

First I also thought about a external PCI case, but there's a budget reason why this solution won't work.

Thanks

isotta

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,266 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author isotta

I've never taken advantage of this feature, but VISA supports sharing devices over a network, so you may be able to use some of your devices remotely that way.  See

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/F3AB0B5D7DBA367C86257982005BBF2C

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4789

The older "traditional" NI-DAQ driver supported a feature called "Remote Device Access" that would let you use a remote DAQ device, but as far as I know it is not supported by the newer DAQmx driver and no similar feature is available.

Message 5 of 6
(2,260 Views)

Hello and thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,246 Views)