LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO-9073 only with Labview 8.6? Data logging ?

Solved!
Go to solution

I dont know if you have a special forum for the cRIOS. If yes, tell me 🙂

One guy from work told me, he bought a cRIO 9073 two years ago because he wanted to log data on vehicles on a USB-Flashdrive.

He never had time for working with that thing after all and today he asked me, if I can try to get that to work. I had never seen one of those before, but as far as I see does this device not have any usb ports and using the ethernetport for connecting a WLAN-Bridge won't work, because when driving around in the car, you will leave the network pretty fast 🙂 - so I assume the only possible way to do it would be loggin the data on the internal storage (128 MB). Is that right?

The other issue is, we only have one Labview 8.2 license here (the rest is 7.1 🙂 ) - is there a chance, that I can write a Labview program for the cRIO with that? In the specifications it says minimum labview version: 8.6 needed 😞 .

Can I work around that somehow ?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(3,639 Views)

Has no one experience with that? 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(3,614 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Andband

Yes, you'll need to log data to the internal flash drive, then copy it off when you can plug it into a network.

To write code for the cRIO, you will need the Real-Time toolkit, and possibly also the FPGA toolkit.

If the documentation states that you need 8.6 to target the cRIO, then that's what you need.  Where are you seeing that?  I know that 8.5 could target older cRIO controllers, but it's quite possible that 8.6 was the first version with support for that model.

Message 3 of 15
(3,608 Views)

I found it here:

ftp://ftp.ni.com/pub/devzone/tut/crio_software_versions.htm

Is there another way to program the cRIO without using LabView? 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(3,597 Views)

You can write code in C, but that requires LV FPGA 2009 to produce a suitable bitfile.

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/9036

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(3,592 Views)

Thanks for your answer.

Just to check that: You say I would need Labview with the FPGA Module to use the C Code? So in the end there is no way around buying this fairly expensive FPGA-module (and to run that also a newer version of Labview) to use the cRIO? Are you sure about that?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(3,589 Views)

That is correct,

As per the document you found, you need at least LabVIEW 8.6 to program the 9073. 

You will also need FPGA if the Scan Engine is not sufficient for your needs.

The C host interface requires LabVIEW FPGA 2009.

Let me know if you have any other questions,

Sebastian

Message 7 of 15
(3,575 Views)

Ok that are kinda bad news, but thanks for confirming. I wonder why the guy who ordered the cRIO wasn't doing any research before 🙂 - I will ask him right now 😄

You mentioned the "Scan Engine". I assume that is something which comes with Labview 8.6 without buying an extra module and you can use it instead of the FPGA to program the cRIO? 

And the FPGA on the other hand is something you have to pay extra for, but it makes programming easier? 

Message Edited by Andband on 02-01-2010 12:14 PM
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(3,571 Views)
The scan engine provides limited access to the FPGA for doing data acquisition, at no additional cost (you should verify this).  The FPGA toolkit allows you to write your own code for the FPGA, giving you much more flexibility.  However, for many applications, there is no need to write custom FPGA code.  In either case you will need the Real-Time toolkit.  As you've probably already discovered, the cRIO has both a standard CPU running a real-time operating system, and an FPGA which runs high-speed data acquisition tasks.  The Real-Time toolkit lets you run code on the real-time operating system.
Message 9 of 15
(3,559 Views)

nathand is correct, the Scan Engine only requires LabVIEW RT, it is not necessary to purchase FPGA.

See http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/7338 for more on the Scan Engine's capabilities

Sebastian

Message 10 of 15
(3,548 Views)