From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bad vi after power off

sometimes LV can't open VI if system crushed (power off) when this VI is opened by LV
this trouble appear not every time.
I had experimented with this trouble and not found any rule (about dozen attempts and no problem with vi)
But yesterday I was on customer object and system crushed (power off) twice. After second crush I had found that can't open main VI (attached).
This error was in LV6 (my first version), in LV7 fnd now in LV8 (8.3)
I'm not sure, but may by bad file is smaller than correct file (from backup).
Why this happen and how can I avoid this error?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,599 Views)
Hi Artem,

you can do only one thing:
avoid shutting your system off while programming/saving any vi's! Save before shutting down AND use backups!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 8
(2,581 Views)
I don't see answer.
There are only recomendations and this recomendations do not solve _LV_error_
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,574 Views)
Hi Artem,

I would not call it a LV-error when you switch-off (or crash) your pc while working... How should LV prevent from crashing?

There is no other answer than 'save early and often'! And starting from LV8 there is an auto-save option similar to MS Office (save every x mins)!
Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 4 of 8
(2,571 Views)
If you have that many power outages, you really, really, really, need to have a UPS on that computer. You can't recover a corrupted file but you can prevent it from happening.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,559 Views)
yes,  switch-off not a LV-error, bat bad VI - is error and very unpleasant error.
try run any program (
MS Office, for example), open any file and switch-off power.

I never see bad file after so "joke". only LV can do it. WHY?

I work under WinXP and have NTFS, so file not corrupted by system, it corrupted by LV.

I have UPS and routinely save vi and make backup., but this only protection, not correction of error.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,553 Views)
Congratulations! You are one of the few people in history that has never lost an office file or had damage done to the OS when you lost power. I hope your luck continues.
Message 7 of 8
(2,551 Views)
If your system crush, you can lost _part_ of you office file (part that not saved), but yot can lost _all_ vi (even you save it 1 second ago).
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,547 Views)