cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

analog style meter

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello there,

This is my first message even though I read for about a couple of years and you have been a real help guys.

I have made an aqcuisition system in labview using picoscope and what I would like to do is display the data I am getting in a meter (like the old voltmeters or an ordinary analog device with a needle).

The problem I have is since the values I get are not that stable (it can jump from 5 to 150 and then to 30 etc), the needle keeps going up and down and is not that easy to read. Is there a way to make the meter more "analog style"?

Of course if I have values 30 to 50 and then a peak of 150 I will not see it. I will see instead a peak of 80-100 as it should be less accurate in peak values (or better slower) but more stable in the average values.

Is there a way to do such thing?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,733 Views)

Did you check meter control in front panel??

Sorry for that, If you try to update the meter control, as fast as possible, it will end up dancing. If that's your problem then

-Like you said, you can average 10-15 values and then pass it to the same.

-Or you can slow down the process of showing the data alone(which is inirectly same as previous you wait for 4-5 values and then display it)

Thanks
uday
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,724 Views)

I am using a meter control to display the values. The problem I have is that the needle moves very fast in peak values and It is not easy to read the actual value. In an analog type device it should display the average and a small jump in the peak values.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,720 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author alx84

Hi alx,

in an analog world the meter acts as a low pass filter. So you need to program a similar filter for the values displayed in your meter display.

I suggest to use the PtByPtMean as it provides a running average which is in fact a low pass filter. Start with a sample length of 10. Larger values make the needle slower...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 4 of 5
(2,711 Views)

I have tried averaging and displaying but then it was not that "real time". I got better values but at slow rate which didn't seem that nice and natural.

@ I tried your solution and It seemed great! so Problem solved !! many many thanks guys.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,699 Views)