From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to read 2 channels simulataneously with Agilent 53230A

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, first time doing Labview programming so I'm completely new to this. My task is to read the frequency from 2 channels (2 sources) simultaneously and compare the difference between them (if any).

So I've used both the examples and Agilent drivers to get something that gives me the frequency of either channel 1 or 2 depending on the user choice. But how do I get readings from both at the same time? Sorry if there's an obvious solution but I can't seem to get it haha.

Thanks in advance for any help!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,676 Views)
You have to sequentially read the values because that is the nature of the instrument and communication to the pc but assuming that you've acquired both channels at the same time, the sequential reads are irrelevant. You don't mention the model or the driver but you must not do multiple initiates between reads. The fetch command is typically used for the second reading as a fetch just returns data without performing another trigger and acquisition.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,668 Views)

Hi sorry I'm using Labview 2013 with these drivers: http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.download_page?p_id_guid=974EC4ACB2143B9BE04400144FB7D2...

for the Agilent 532XX Series Counter/Timer.

I've attached my current block diagram below. Sorry I'm not sure what you mean by the fetch command? Are you talking about the SCPI commands? I'm actually just using the drivers as is since i'm even more lost when it comes to SCPI commands.

Thanks for the fast reply!

EDIT: Oops are you referring to the low level Fetch Measurements subVIs? Using that instead of Read Measurements gives me a command error tho.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,660 Views)
Sorry, I didn't see the model number in the subject and when you said 2 channels, I thought you were talking about a scope. With this counter, I'm not sure if you can acquire both channels at once. I would suggest looking up that in the manual.

Yes, I was talking about the low level fetch. Often, once you are finished with a setup, you would do a read/meas command to initiate a reading and follow that with a fetch. These should be explained in the manual. I'll see if I have some time to look at the driver and instrument specs in the next couple of days. Hopefully, someone who is more knowledgeable about this model will provide better help.
Message 4 of 6
(3,643 Views)

Okay thanks a lot for the advice! I'll follow up on it and let you know how it goes.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,636 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author DesperateStudent

The user manual confirms that you can only do one at a time, you can do a frequency ratio measurement if thats any good.

The counter channels with the exception of frequency ratio and selected time

interval measurements are separate and can be configured independently.

Measurements on the channels do not occur simultaneously, however. Switching

between channels retains the channel configuration, but ends the current

measurement. The newly selected channel is re-initiated and measurements

begin when the programmed trigger conditions are met.

CLA CTAChampionI'm attending the GLA Summit!
Subscribe to the Test Automation user group: UK Test Automation Group
Message 6 of 6
(3,619 Views)