LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adding custom buttons to toolbar

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to save as much screen space as possible...Is there a way to add custom buttons to the Labview toolbar?  Adding splitter bars for toolbars takes up too much space for my application...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(4,067 Views)

In a VI go to Edit >> Run-Time Menu to change the menu seen to the user when the VI is running.

To handle when a selection is made use the Event structure.  There are are several shipped examples in the Example Finder.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(4,056 Views)

Thanks for the reply but that deals with Run TIme Menus for text drop downs from the existing menu items and customizable text items.  What I was looking for was something similar to in Excel when you define a macro and attach it to fire from a custom button.  From what I see, it is not possible to add an actual button to the main menu toolbar that is not previously on the menu.  Am I correct? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(4,051 Views)

Sorry my reply didn't help I wasn't sure if that's what you were looking for or not.

I know of no way to do what you are saying easily.  That being said it sounds like a neat UI design and would be nice to have.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(4,048 Views)

Hi id,

From what I see, it is not possible to add an actual button to the main menu toolbar that is not previously on the menu.

What is your "main menu toolbar" actually?

Why shouldn't you be able to place another boolean button (maybe customized with some decal)?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(4,045 Views)

What I called the main menu toolbar is the labview one at the main window that contains the run arrow, stop, and pause buttons normally.   My main menu has about 4 additional buttons to add to this toolbar  

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(4,040 Views)

Hi id,

and you need to have those 4 buttons in the development environment? I don't know a way to add more buttons to that toolbar...

But you can add your tools (aka VIs) to the tools menu!

When you're talking about an executable (or running VI): your user should never see the toolbar menu! It's just for the IDE...

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(4,036 Views)

That "menu" bar should not be visible to a end user running your program.

That is only for development use.

You need to make your own menu bar if you need one.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(4,032 Views)

and the only way to do that is to add a horiz splitter with my buttons above it or to add it to the drop down run time menun listings as text items correct?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(4,027 Views)

Hi id,

you don't need a splitter to place some buttons...

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(4,023 Views)