From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

about using external clock to control the timed sequence

@Craig_ wrote:

It's still going to have to wait to get CPU time from the OS, so using that source won't improve the jitter.

You really need a Real-Time system for this application so that you can get bounded jitter and determinism! 

Check out this white paper:

What is a Real-Time Operating System (RTOS)? http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3938/en/

Thanks for the information. I understand that it might not perfect, I just want to try if it will be a bit stable or not. I am reading the white paper in your link. It is quite confusing if the real-time property is due to the OS or hardware (PTX) or both? Since it is not possible for us to upgrade the PCI card to PXI one, I wonder if it helps if we change the OS to the real time OS and still using the PCI one. Honestly speaking, real-tim OS is really new to me. I use some linux distribution before and someone told me that linux is real-time? I don't know if there is any free distribution of linux support real-time task. Any think I am concerning is it seems that most of the module from labview support windows only. I wonder how much I can port my code into the linux without modifying too much.

p.s. I have two systems developed in Labwindows and in Labview 2013 (and MathScripts). I know that Labwindows definfitely not supported the linux platform. I wonder if I can use MathScripts or not.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(755 Views)

The Real-Time behavior is attributed to the OS's scheduler. Windows does not allow high priority processes guaranteed access to CPU resources, where as a Real-Time system does allow this.

You can use Mathscript Nodes on RT Targets!

Real-Time supports a number of different systems:

You should not need to modify your code much to run on these platforms as LabVIEW provides a consistent platform to run code on any of the systems.

Craig H. | CLA CTA CLED | Applications Engineer | NI Employee 2012-2023
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(735 Views)

@Craig_ wrote:

The Real-Time behavior is attributed to the OS's scheduler. Windows does not allow high priority processes guaranteed access to CPU resources, where as a Real-Time system does allow this.

You can use Mathscript Nodes on RT Targets!

Real-Time supports a number of different systems:

You should not need to modify your code much to run on these platforms as LabVIEW provides a consistent platform to run code on any of the systems.

Thanks. I read all those articles and I think to accomplish the target, it need either the real-time hardware or software real-time module. Currently, I don't think we could afford that.

What I am asking before is: could I setup some real-time OS (some free linux) and install labview in that linux so it supports most of the real-time functions.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(711 Views)

Unfortunately no, you will need to use the LabVIEW Real-Time module paired with a target running Real-Time to take advantage of the functions.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(691 Views)

@Craig_ wrote:

Unfortunately no, you will need to use the LabVIEW Real-Time module paired with a target running Real-Time to take advantage of the functions.

Thanks for your reply. I just find that the license I was offered including the LabVIEW Real-Time Module (http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/209855). But I wonder if this one supporting transferring the PC into a real-time system. Or if this module the same as NI LabVIEW Real-Time Deployment License for Desktop PCs so I can convert the PC into a real-tme system? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(667 Views)

The Real-Time Module gives you a license to use the development software on a PC (the LabVIEW environment).

The deployment license allows you to put the Real-Time software on a target PC as an operating system, this cost is also factored in to every PXI RT system that we offer.

NI LabVIEW Real-Time Deployment License for Desktop PCs: http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/13751

The option on that page titled "LabVIEW Real-Time ETS Deployment License Bundle for Standard PC's" with part number "779751-03" comes with a valid network card too!

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(646 Views)

@Craig_ wrote:

The Real-Time Module gives you a license to use the development software on a PC (the LabVIEW environment).

The deployment license allows you to put the Real-Time software on a target PC as an operating system, this cost is also factored in to every PXI RT system that we offer.

NI LabVIEW Real-Time Deployment License for Desktop PCs: http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/13751

The option on that page titled "LabVIEW Real-Time ETS Deployment License Bundle for Standard PC's" with part number "779751-03" comes with a valid network card too!

So I only have the license to use the development software but I still need another license to deloy it to the target computer.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 18
(640 Views)

The target's license is for the Real-Time PharLap operating system that is put onto it.

Deploying itself is more related to the host's software and the action of putting an application onto the targets.

But, disregarding the semantics, yes you are correct!

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(638 Views)