From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xcontrols: why, when and how should I use these (want to learn something new)

I am trying to expand my labview knowledge by reading this forum (nuggets): now I'm looking for some (smart) examples of how and when to use Xcontrols.

I know what they are, but have never used them, but maybe I should!

Any thoughts welcome

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,317 Views)

Take a look in to this link

With regards,
JK
(Certified LabVIEW Developer)
Give Kudos for Good Answers, and Mark it a solution if your problem is solved.
Message 2 of 3
(2,283 Views)

XControls should be used when you have significant functionality that follows a control around.  The thermometer is one case.  Another example would be a units control with a custom option.  Normally, the control is a simple string selector.  When custom is selected, another control becomes visible to allow the user to enter a custom string.  Another example is filtering or modifying inputs.  If you have a string input, but you want to disallow certain sequences or modify certain sequences, encapsulating in a XControl makes sense.

XControls only make sense if you are creating something you will use multiple times.  It is a way to encapsulate functionality and create reusable components.

Message 3 of 3
(2,264 Views)