cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XNET - Enabling RPC Server - Getting Error

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I am trying to load XNet database on my RT Target and I keep on getting the error using Xnet API. Running the managing XNet remote database eample vi does not help either as it is always stuck with error and no timeout.

I can connect to my RT target so it is not a problem of firewall and I can even talk using the NI default Xnet databases, it is just that when I try to load my database on Remote it gives me these errors

I tried to go to MAX >> Tools>>NI CAN >>RT Configuration and I got this error as show in Capture.PNG.

I am using cRIO 9067 and for Xnet I am using NI9860 on my 8th slot.

Has anyone encountered this issue, enabling RPC server, how can I do it? and Is there a way to directly place database file on the RT target.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,037 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,008 Views)

@Kelle wrote:

have you seen this KB http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/0903CD98DA3305FD8625707E00651AEC ? Seems like it may help you

Hi Kelle,

Thanks for the link but the error window capture.png that I shared was the result of this process only, Sorry I forgot to mention that so instead of getting the RT hardware configuration window as shown in last image on the link I am getting the prompt that shows RPC server issue.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,999 Views)

Hi,

In continuation with my still unresolved problem of RPC Server , I have few more queries which I need help on.

1) The Database in Remote target seems to have extension ".db" which is not .xml, .dbc, .ncd or what the XNet DB editor creates , it creates .xml, I am not sure as to how can I create a file in .db format. Is there a way to create a database which is in acceptable format

2) Also using Manage NI-XNet Databases gives a prompt, please refer attached image Error - XNet Manage DB.

3) Using Manage RT Databases example gives error as RT not connected but I am able to ping the device without any issues.

Thanks for the help.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,947 Views)

It looks like there is still some connectivity issue, as both those errors point to issue connecting to the RT target.  You say you can ping it and (in the original post) can connect to it.  How are you connecting to it?  Can you connect and communicate with it via a LabVIEW project?

NI-XNET DB editor should export as dbc, although it saves as xml.  How did you get that .db file on the target and where was it created?  Was it created from another system?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,922 Views)

@Kelle wrote:

It looks like there is still some connectivity issue, as both those errors point to issue connecting to the RT target.  You say you can ping it and (in the original post) can connect to it.  How are you connecting to it?  Can you connect and communicate with it via a LabVIEW project?

NI-XNET DB editor should export as dbc, although it saves as xml.  How did you get that .db file on the target and where was it created?  Was it created from another system?

Hi Kelle,

Yes I can communicate to it via a LabVIEW project.

The db files on the target are available by default, I am not sure about who created it but I assume since most of the LabVIEW example vis use them so they are available by default to use. (Refer Image attached)

The problem is moving my xml file on to the remote target and even manually copying my own database to the same location does not seem to work. (That was more a hit and trial but failed terribly)

But I can assure you that there is no connectivity issue , I can ping the device without issue, connect via LV project, only thing where the problem is uploading my own database to RT target, seems like enabling the RPC server on the Remote target would solve this, but I dont know how to do it and somehow cant find an article on it.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,913 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author lbains

Well I was able to achieve what I wanted barring the problem of solving "RPC Error not found" Issue.

I am not sure but in my case deployment of database worked when I changed the password authentication, Initially I had a password setup for my RT target but when I removed the password to blank , all the example VIs, NI XNET Database Manager started working.

I know there was a suggestion in few links to enter "[username:password]@IP Address" but this did not work for me, even in Xnet database manager it is mentioned nowhere that IP address should be entered in that format, all they ask is IP address and in my case it was not working with IP address.

Also, a thing to be noticed here is that by default when you receive NI product there is no password protection, generally the password is blank so most of the user would never have encountered this issue.

So I would suggest the resolution as "Remove password from RT Target".

Thanks

Lakhvir

Message 7 of 7
(3,900 Views)