From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workers for LV Framework

Hi everyone,

Who among you uses the Workers framework from Scarfe Controls?

After spending some hours to discover it through the tutorial videos, I have a great first impression and would be interested in your experiences and your opinion.

Thanks for your feedback

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(1,555 Views)

@JB wrote:

Hi everyone,

Who among you uses the Workers framework from Scarfe Controls?

After spending some hours to discover it through the tutorial videos, I have a great first impression and would be interested in your experiences and your opinion.

Thanks for your feedback

My mantra is to never use a external/vendor library when a built in one will do. Before you jump into Workers, check out the built in LabVIEW, Actor Framework. I use the Actor Framework all the time and after looking at the video for Workers it looks like a similar solution. Here is a link but I can't get the video to play, I don't know why NI cant just put their  videos on youtube like a normal business. https://www.ni.com/en-us/innovations/videos/11/ni-labview-virtual-user-group--introduction-to-actor-...

Edit: maybe this is a better resource to see info about the Actor Framework: https://www.bloomy.com/support/blog/getting-started-actor-framework-part-i

Any other opinions?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(1,437 Views)

@JB wrote:

Any other opinions?

My mantra is to never use a framework 😁.

Message 4 of 9
(1,427 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@JB wrote:

Any other opinions?

Bare metal all the way!

It does heavily remind me of the Actor framework as well. It's hard to tell if it's significantly different without downloading it and messing with it, but the debugging stuff seems nice. Debugging AF applications is certainly non-trivial, but addons do tend to help with it.

I'd be interested to know what the comparisons are between the Worker framework and the Actor framework. There's a Tutorials section on the page with some videos but I don't have time at the moment to watch a 20 minute tutorial- hopefully later today or this week I can revisit. I'm always up for a new tool 🙂

Message 6 of 9
(1,370 Views)

Hi Joerg,

I took a very brief look at Workers a few month ago, in the end i didn't go very far because we're happy with DQMH, the fact that there is a very active community and a consortium of multiple companies that now help develop it is a real selling point for us.

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

Message 7 of 9
(1,346 Views)

@Jay14159265 wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@JB wrote:

Any other opinions?

Bare metal all the way!

Just to make sure, there is (obviously?) a time and place for frameworks. If you're a CLA (level) leading a team of <CLD (level) people, a framework might be a solution. Also, applications we make rarely need the same (infra)structure, so a OSFA framework isn't for me.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(1,303 Views)

Hi,

I have been using it lately for building a small-medium size project (PC & cRIO), to be used in research (not industrial and not commercial). This is my opinion from a point of view of someone with just a couple of years of LV experience and focused on research, so this are just tools for what I do, not my main job.

I like it quite a lot. It is simple and clean. Documentation is ok, but it could be a little more detailed in certain areas. The use of LVOOP keeps things clear and easy.

I assume it is in the end quite similar to DQMH, but for smaller projects I think DQMH is an overkill. Recently I asked a student to implement a medium size project using DQMH (considering all the community support and documentation available), it turned to end in a messy implementation, probably in part of the student and in little part DQMH. I think DQMH is quite awesome, my point is that the entry level for DQMH is not as low as many think, and looking back I think Workes for LV has a lower entry level.

I definitely would encourage people to use it.

Message 9 of 9
(1,146 Views)