LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Window navigation

Hi everyone!

What I want to do is like an internet website. I have a Main page and some other pages around it. I have somes buttons in the main page to go to the other pages and in these pages I can only return to the main page. (see attachment)

The Main page is ALWAYS running and the other pages run only if the page is open.

My problem is when I click on a button to go to another page, the Main page stop running.

How can I do this? Any example?
Thank you very much,

Stéphanie
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,848 Views)

I thought that will be easy for you to do this hehe

Someone can help me please? I'm new with LabVIEW and my problem it's probably a property, well I guess..

If you don't understand what I want to do or if it's not possible to do this, just tell me please!

Thanx again!
Stephanie

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,829 Views)

I can't open your LV 8 VIs but my guess is that you are statically calling your subVIs. That is, you have placed the subVIs inside a case statement or event structure that is activated by a front panel Boolean and that the subVIs have a while loop that is terminated by a front panel Boolean on their front panel. If that's the case, then when you start the subVI, the main VI passes execution to the subVI and will not continue until the subVI finishes. This is no different in text based languages when you call a function with a while loop. In order to keep the main VI running, you need to launch the subVIs with VI Server. You open a reference to the subVI, open the front panel with an Invoke Method, and then run it with another Invoke Method. For the Run VI method, you want to make sure you set the Wait Until Done to false.

Message Edited by Dennis Knutson on 06-14-2006 09:04 AM

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,827 Views)
Stephanie,

What makes you think your main page is not running? It seems to work fine for me, except that the mechanical action on the Stop button should probably be Latch when Released.

Lynn
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,815 Views)
Hi Johnsold,

I say that because I don't see the numeric value changing when the other page is running.
The while loop in the main page is not "looping". I need to calculate things in the main page even if I'm in another page.

Thanx,
Stephanie

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,808 Views)
Hi again!

I've try what Dennis did and it's exactly what I needed!

That you very much! You're all amazing!
Stephanie
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,801 Views)
OK. What you saw in your original VI was the result of the basic paradigm of LabVIEW: dataflow. When you call the Window1.vi, the main program cannot continue until the subVI completes. So, the main program was still running, but it could not do anything else until the subVI was finished. What Dennis suggested with the VI Server creates a subVI which runs independently.

What you want could also be done with independent loops and messages passed between them via queues. Which way is better depends on the details. As you have described it, the VI Server may be best for your application.

Lynn
Message 7 of 7
(2,797 Views)