LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching from remote (VLM) to local license LV 7.1?

I have a laptop from another group that uses Labview 7.1 with volume license server.   This laptop is now in my possession where we use local licenses.  I tried configuring the license manager, and then unistalling the previous FDS version reinstalling my PDS version but I still get the message "feature on local host has expired".  Is there any way I can rid myself of this license server business because this laptop is no longer allowed on the network.  (Running win2Kpro.)

Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,675 Views)
Hey drfunk,

The easiest way to get rid of using a network server is to configure licensing options within NI License Manager.  NI License Manager should be located under your start menu>>programs>>National Instruments>>NI License Manager.  Once you have opened NI License Manager, if you go to options>>preferences, there is a checkbox to use a network license server.  If you uncheck this option it should no longer use the network server for a license.  The next thing to check would be to look under local licenses and LabVIEW 7.1.  You should be able to expand this tree and see all of the licenses that are listed beneath it.  If you do not have a green box next to Professional Development system, you will need to reactivate it.  You can do this by right clicking on the box next to Professional Development System and selecting activate.  If you are still having troubles or don't have some of these options, it would be very helpful to see a screenshot of your NI License Manager with the LabVIEW 7.1 tree expanded.

Thanks,
Pat P.
Software Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,668 Views)
Hey drfunk,

One more thing I forgot to add, what might be happening is because you disconnected from your network server, by default temporary network licenses are going to be created.  These need to be deleted for your local license to work properly.  They can be found under C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\License Manager\Licenses, and they will have a name similar to LabVIEW_Core_080000_TmpNetwork.lic.  You will want to delete any of these temporary files, and then as long as you have a valid serial number for your LabVIEW Professional, you should be good to go. 

Thanks,

Pat P.
Software Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,664 Views)

I tried what you mentioned in the first reply already and that didn't work.  It would have been nice to try what you did in the second reply -- because I think that was ultimately the problem -- but I already did what I call a "deep uninstall" (where I erase registry entries, common files, and any other traces - NOT for the novice user) and that solved the problem.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,660 Views)