From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why structures function palette is not complete?

Solved!
Go to solution

Labview 2014 does not have complete function VI's on the functions paltte, for example stacked sequence does not appear on structures box. This seems to be an old issue on other labview versions bacause of having installed more than one version of labview on the same PC.

In the other hand this structure (stacked sequence) appears under Mindstorm structures! but not on the "programing" selection.

Is this a bug?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(4,042 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Lalox

Hi Lalox,

this is a feature of the latest LabVIEW version (as of now) and was requested by many (more experienced) LabVIEW programmers in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange!

The help for the Flat Sequence Structure says:

To create a Stacked Sequence structure, place a Flat Sequence structure on the block diagram, right-click the Flat Sequence structure, and select Replace with Stacked Sequence.

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 18
(4,039 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Lalox

So not that I use either structure often, but you can put down a Flat Sequence structure, right click the border, and then replace with a Stacked Sequence structure.  I'm still not sure I care that it was moved.

EDIT:  Even more odd, if you search the palette for the "Stacked Sequence" the only results that came up are for the Flat Sequence Structure.

Double edit:  I didn't see any thing in the upgrade notes that mentions this change http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/371780k.pdf 

Message 3 of 18
(4,032 Views)

For sure! That's how i "solve" bacause i use this structure a lot, not a problem at all; but i am reviewing the whole functions palette ti se this is not an issue on my pc. ( Using win 8, labview 2013 and 2014 with most of the existent NI toolkits) and expecting there will be no problems on my program migration (very heavy and multifunctional program).

Thanks I can see no one has for now this kind of functions palette problems 🙂 Hope this changes and others in Labview are for good.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(4,021 Views)

@Lalox wrote:

i use this structure a lot 

Please don't.

Message 5 of 18
(4,013 Views)

Hi Lalox,

the SSS was "hidden" from the palette to avoid LabVIEW beginners write "bad" LabVIEW code. The SSS doesn't work very well with DATAFLOW…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 6 of 18
(4,011 Views)

Maybe it's time to reconsider your LabVIEW programming style then. The Stacked Sequence Structure is basically a bad thing to use. It unneccessarily hides code in multiple frames, requires UGLY sequence locals to pass data between frames and is generally just a nuisance for code review, debugging and long term code maintenance.

Every LabVIEW diagram can be written without it when you properly create subVIs and use data dependency between them to force the correct execution order. The few instances where a simple frame is necessary you can just use the Flat Sequence. SubVIs are not that hard to create if you think about it. I know that many beginners feel it's an unneccessary time killer. But as you learn to program more complex LabVIEW applications you will find that subVIs are THE building blocks in LabVIEW. Use them! You almost can't overuse them!

Do yourself a favor and upgrade your programming style to 2.0! Smiley Wink

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 7 of 18
(4,005 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Lalox

@Hooovahh wrote:

I didn't see any thing in the upgrade notes that mentions this change

It is a bug fix (444095). 😄

Copied from the list of LabVIEW 2014 Bug Fixes:

444095 Remove Stacked Sequence Structure from the palette

Message 8 of 18
(3,990 Views)

See also the long discussions in this (completed!) idea: 

Move Stacked Sequences from the Palette

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(3,982 Views)

Not so really bad using stacked sequences, I understand what you say, I use subVi's also but this kind of sequences helps for especific purposes and it is up to the programmer using them or not.

But now I have to ask, I use them but not abuse them, and I have no issues on my programing, so Do you know problems using this sequences bacause of Labview, not bad programers?

Thanks all of you, this was not an issue when i fist saw the bug list somo days ago.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(3,955 Views)