LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why new NI MAX 15.0 does not sort global virtual channels by name?

Why new NI MAX 15.0 does not sort global virtual channels by name? It used to be very handy to have that option, however, after 2014, they decided to remove this very useful function away without any reason (at least I can not think of any reason). I am currently using NI MAX 15.0 and I could not find anything in the menu about how to sort my global virtual channels by name. They could have implemented something in the menu easily to sort channels by name or something else instead of removing that useful function.

Senior Software Developer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,374 Views)

Hi,

Would you be able to clarify in what versions of MAX you were able to do global virtual channel sorting by name and how you did it? I have tried it just now in 15.0 and 14.5 and have not seen that functionality there. Perhaps a screenshot of how you did it before?

Thanks,

Eric

Eric H.
Senior Field Applications Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,332 Views)

Technically the sorting was removed from the new version of DAQmx, not MAX.  It was causing some severe performance issues in some cases, so they needed to remove it for now.  Its possible it could be readded in the future, but in a slightly different way to avoid any slow down.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,302 Views)

I was using 2013 version of labview and DAQmx drivers. When you import glabal virtual channels, it used to sort them by name automatically (there was no option in the menu, it was just automatically sorting those channels by name). After 2014, new DAQmx does not do that which is very annoying.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,268 Views)

How hard could it be sorting channels by name? What kind of performance issue are you talking about? I believe it is just a list box that you should be able to sort by name, type whatever you want. I believe NI has software developers who are able to implement stuff, not remove.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,264 Views)

It use to happen in the low level database that DAQmx uses to store its information, which has to ensure operations are atomic hence the slowness.  The future change would be to do it in the MAX UI, which would be much faster.  Unfortunately, MAX is a seperate product with a seperate development team which didn't have the bandwidth to make the UI change when DAQmx made theirs. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,230 Views)

Then get them on it! Smiley Very Happy

Imported list of channels in screwy order is a HUGE pita!  Large number of channels all neatly ordered by name is a jumbled mess now. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,044 Views)

Hi FTI_Newton,

If you would like a feature added to NI MAX, you can submit your idea to the Idea Exchange. This is a way to let developers know about features users would like to see in the software. This idea would fall under the Additional NI Software Idea Exchange.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-Idea-Exchange/ct-p/ideas

Eric H.
Senior Field Applications Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,015 Views)