LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is LabVIEW install and uninstall extremely slow?

I've been having some issues with LabVIEW lately and I'm trying to do a full uninstall and reinstall this afternoon/evening, and remembered why I don't do that very often...why is the entire NI suite so slow to install and uninstall? I have a top-of-the-line Core i7 processor and SSD main storage and this is literally taking HOURS just to UNINSTALL. I'm sitting here twiddling my thumbs after hours at work waiting for the uninstall to finish, just so I can start it re-installing overnight so it's not wasting my entire morning waiting for it to install tomorrow! That's absurd!

Message 1 of 36
(6,354 Views)

I did not really often need uninstall, so I cannot recall how much time it took. My usual scenario is when I need to install Dev suit on a fresh Win7 install. Last time as I remember, it was around 1 hour, not really more (LV 32bit 2016, FGPA, RT, and some other add-ons). And this laptop had a conventional HDD with i5 CPU...

What is the reason you need to uninstall/reinstall LV? The new versions live happy on my systems, not affecting older LV versions.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 36
(6,322 Views)

It took me 3.5 hours to install lv2016, RT, vision, etc and about an hour to remove lv2015 on a very fast dell I7 16Gb Win 7 machine.  Fgpa took another 30 minutes.

I don't think it's fair to ask why someone would want to remove software that is no longer being used.  It takes up space, slows down/bloats the registry, and complicates the directory structure.  In my case, it also greatly increases my system backup sizes.

Regardless, I believe part of the slowness is how NI organizes their installers.  Every little feature and driver seems to have a separate installer.  Hence a separate uninstall and all the related overhead.  It's about as slow of a structure as could be designed, but seems sensible given the myriad of options, add-ones, and drivers LV offers.  Windows installers are just bloated.  I wonder how efficient LV installation is on Linux?  It'd be interesting to hear.

Installation of LV RT on pharlap via MAX is crazy fast.  Maybe a few minutes at worst.

XL600

Message 3 of 36
(6,278 Views)

Maybe I just remember wrong that it was only one hour to install last time? I will need to install LV soon again, and I will check properly the required time. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 36
(6,267 Views)

It definitely depends on what you install.  LabVIEW takes a modest amount of time (a few tens of minutes).  LabVIEW RT takes a similar amount.  DAQmx takes a similar amount.  Vision takes a similar amount.  VISA is a little faster.  So we already have >1 hour.

As to why uninstalling takes so long -- I think it is busy "unwinding" the registry, and (carefully) deleting files as they are uninstalled.  In my experience, it takes time comparable to installation.  If I have more than one version of LabVIEW installed and need to remove a bunch of them, the strong temptation (which I've actually followed) includes "Step 1 -- format the hard drive.  Step 2 -- install Windows and all its updates.  Step 3 -- have a drink."

Bob Schor

Message 5 of 36
(6,245 Views)

@Blokk wrote:

Maybe I just remember wrong that it was only one hour to install last time? I will need to install LV soon again, and I will check properly the required time. 

For LV alone it's about right. Then you'll have to install other DAQmx, Vision and the other packages. It's not a fast procedure. 😕 And if you realize afterwards that you wanted another version also, you'll need to do it all again ... and if you then realize you forgot to install the lower version first you're close to an anyrism ...

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 36
(6,226 Views)

Yamaeda-san,

In your case, you should follow my three-step procedure, but start with Step 3 -- Have a Drink!  [I totally agree with you ...]

Bob Schor

Message 7 of 36
(6,215 Views)

*thumbs* I'm all for a drink!

This actually happened to my when i got a new computer and installed a couple of versions and (unnecessarily) installed DAQmx and some other packages after the first 2 LVs, then added on one ...

A couple of weeks later a customer wanted a project coded in 2012, i had 2011 and 2013 installed ...

/Y

Qestit Systems
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 36
(6,212 Views)

A couple of weeks later a customer wanted a project coded in 2012, i had 2011 and 2013 installed ...

/Y

Backsaving the project using LV2013, into version 2012 was not an option?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 36
(6,207 Views)

I've had issues with some libraries earlier, so i didn't try this time.

/Y

Qestit Systems
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 36
(6,185 Views)