LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I create UDLs?

ADO is part of the MDAC (Microsoft Data Access Components) package from Microsoft.  It's not installed with versions of Windows earlier than ME.  That's what supports UDL files and other related ADO features.  I recommend going to Microsoft's download page and installing the latest MDAC version on your machine.  They also have some utilities for checking what version, if any, is currently installed.  The Database Connectivity Toolkit requires at least MDAC 2.5.

What you heard from other forums is true - OLE DB is a much better way to communicate with databases than ODBC.  Also, I want to add that Oracle's OLE DB provider is far superior to the one written by Microsoft. 

I hope this helps,

Crystal

Message 11 of 15
(1,129 Views)
Greetings Crystal,
Many thanks to you for these good information ... It sure helps.

-----------------------------
Ayman Mohammad Metwally
Automation Engineer
Egypt - Cairo
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 15
(1,114 Views)
LabVIEW 8.0 and the latest Database Connectivity Toolset.

I am using the Database Connectivity Toolset with MS Access data bases without any problem.

Now, I have to read and write data to an Oracle version 9 Database and I have not any idea how to star.

Is there any one who can let me know the steps to connect to an Oracle Database ?

It seems, the Oracle Database are not like the MS Access where you have an specific Database file that you can just copy to your computer, and then configure it with the ODBC administrative tools.    

Simbani 
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 15
(1,072 Views)
A good place to get started would be the user manual. It contains information on the differences between Oracle and MS databases, as well as how to connect to each.
Jarrod S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 15
(1,049 Views)
Hi Jarrods,

Thanks. I´ll read again the Database Connectivity Toolset user Manual carefully.

Simbani 
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 15
(1,045 Views)