From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are the NI-DAQmx Base for LabVIEW options grayed out using custom install (with Action:Skip)?

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm trying to install NI-DAQmx Base 3.7.0 for LabVIEW 2013 (LV is installed). When I try Standard Install, it doesn't install for LabVIEW (only the Common and C and USB tools), but gives a successful installation message.

Success.png

When I try Custom Install, all of the "...for LabVIEW 20XX" options are unchecked, grayed out and the Action says "Skip".

Custom Install.png

I'm trying this on a 2011 MacBook Air 11" running OS 10.9. LabVIEW runs fine.

Thanks for any suggestions.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,550 Views)

Hi,

OS 10.9 is not officially supported by NI with the DAQmx Base 3.7. This information is from the description of the driver (http://www.ni.com/download/ni-daqmx-base-3.7/4272/en/😞

• OS Support—NI-DAQmx Base now supports the following versions of Mac OS X:
    • Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)
    • Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

So this seems to the be the problem. Either you choose another OS version or wait for a new driver which supports 10.9

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,511 Views)

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your ideas. Although not "officially" supported, there are comments in the forums indicating that most everthing works in 10.9. I have run LabVIEW with the Control Design and Simulation package with no problems.

The installer does run and installs "NI-DAQmx Base Common", "NI-DAQmx Base C Interface", "NI-DAQmx Base USB Support" and "LabVIEW 2013 Runtime Engine". But it won't install the LabVIEW components of NI-DAQmx Base.

So I don't think the reason is OS 10.9. But thanks for your suggestion.

Cheers,

Karl

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,507 Views)

Hi Karl,

okay it would also be interesting if you are using a 64-bit OS X version? 

I also just took a look in our a support database and found a similar problem. This one was solved with re-installing Mac OS, LabVIEW, and then DAQmx Base has been installed properly.

I think this is not the optimal solution but I haven't found a better one. Have you already tried a fresh installation of at least LabVIEW?

Maybe someone else has a better idea.

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,501 Views)

Hi Michael,

OS 10.9 is 64-bit. I'm not inclined to reinstall the OS just yet and the installation of LabVIEW 2013 is pretty fresh (last week), but I can try that.

I guess I should note that I have LV 2011, 2012 and 2013 all installed because there are multiple VIs from the various versions running around that I don't want to force everyone that's using them to update.

I looked for people with similar problems before posting. Can you send a link? It is always useful for me to compare my problems to others'.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Karl

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,496 Views)

Hi Karl,

sorry the link is internal and cannot be published. In this case there were also different version in use: NI-DAQmx Base 3.3.0 for Mac OS X and LabVIEW 8.5. But there occured the same problem that only the LabVIEW components of the DAQmx Base installation were greyed out. He could solve the problem with a new installation as described in post before. 

So there is no guarantee that the reinstallation could solve your problem. 

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,489 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author kdbeyk

Hello,

The DAQmx Base installer will display LabVIEW support greyed if LabVIEW is not detected on the system. Did you install LabVIEW and then move it to a different location?

The LV location that DAQmx Base checks is...

/Applications/National Instruments/LabVIEW <version>/LabVIEW.app

Thanks,

Steven T.

Message 7 of 8
(3,478 Views)

Hi Steven T.

Brilliant! Thanks for that help. To keep things straight with multiple LV versions, I had renamed them Labview2011.app, Labview2012.app and Labview2013.app. Changing all of them back to Labview.app fixed the problem. NI-DAQmx Base 3.7.0 is now installed for all 3 versions.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Karl

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,465 Views)