LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I getting different results for the same resolution but different Windows boxes, Win 7 and XP

Solved!
Go to solution

I am running an .exe on two different windows boxes, one in Win 7 and one on XP.  I set both for resolution 1024 x 768.

On Win 7 (laptop and old Dell desktop) I have a great looking app.  On the WIn XP boxes all the fonts to large.  THis doesn't make sense to me as all the PC's have the same resolution.

Has anyone run across this before?

-------
Mark Ramsdale
-------
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,643 Views)

Hi,

Thanks so much for the lead.  I will try it out a bit later today.  I was focused on all the threads about resolution and how to set up apps for different resolutions, the font and XP/Win7 topic looks very promising. 

-------
Mark Ramsdale
-------
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,618 Views)

Sweet, Sweet victory.  (Sponge Bob song in back of head)

I added the default fonts to the ini for my application.

appFont="Segoe UI" 13
systemFont="Segoe UI" 13
dialogFont="Segoe UI" 13

I wanted my XP sytems to look like my Win7, so I used Segoe UI.

Thanks again for the lead.

-------
Mark Ramsdale
-------
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,597 Views)

Unfortunately, sometimes setting the font does not work either for a couple of reasons:

1. The font is not available on the target.
  2. The font, while named the same, is somewhat different on the target.

This leads to the hard-core resolution - scale your front panel to the fonts using control property nodes.  This also solves the "large font" issue (visually impaired users set the fonts larger so they can see them - I have heard of a legally blind LabVIEW developer).  You can find an example of this here.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,579 Views)

Hi,

So I tried this on a few different XP systems, some were OK, and some were bad.   To bad this is so difficult. 

Mark

-------
Mark Ramsdale
-------
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,563 Views)