From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where did my Shared Variables go?

I've inherited an AWFUL program that I need to modify.  I was successful upgrading it last year (in LV 8.5), but when I open it now I see a bunch of Shared Variables that look like this:

Where'd they go?

Have you seen this before?  What do I need to do?

Message Edited by jcarmody on 05-20-2009 08:29 AM
Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,719 Views)
Does the LV project include the library that contains the shared variables? 
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,712 Views)

Yes.  It's the same LV Project that I used last year.

Another piece of information - the Error list says "Shared Variable '?': Not linked "

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,708 Views)

Any chance SV was bound to hardware I/O?

Weird part is that symbol displayed of SV is exactly what is on the block diagram pallettes.

Message Edited by Wayne.C on 05-20-2009 09:47 AM
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,703 Views)

Will it let you 'right click' and then Select Variable from lib in project?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,693 Views)

Yes, and I can do that for the few of them that are wired to type-defs.  The problem is that many of them, like the one pictured, are connected to boolean constants with no hint of which variable was used.

Wayne.C wrote:

Any chance SV was bound to hardware I/O?

The only reason this application uses SVs is because the author didn't know any better.  I could forgive him if he was sorry for what he did, but he was proud of it.  

Jim

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,680 Views)

Ouch!  Maybe he was so proud that he framed images of block diagrams?

I made up a simple project and tried to come up with a sequence of events that could cause this.  Have been unable to do so.  I just can't figure out how the link between SV on block diagram and svlib could get blown away.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,677 Views)

He should be proud.  He's accomplished the largest BD in the WORLD!

Where am I?

Message Edited by jcarmody on 05-20-2009 10:41 AM
Jim

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,639 Views)