LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When building an application how do I keep my instrument controls enabled?

I am building an application that uses a SPI Card.  If I am running the program as a VI, I can select the I/O device I want to use for the SPI card.  When I generate an executable, the control that allows me to select the I/O device becomes greyed out.  I can still paste the device into the contol feild but I am no longer able to select from a drop down menu.  How can I fix this problem?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(3,721 Views)

Are you using the NI 8451?

If so, then you should be using the 845x drivers.If you have a control wired into the device reference in of a 845x VI, then you should have a drop down box with the available 845x resources. When you say greyed out, do you lose the drop down arrow also? Are you able to manually type in the box?

If it is not an 8451, what SPI device are you using? Are you using VISA to interface with this device?

Regards

---

Peter Flores
Applications Engineer
Message 2 of 14
(3,690 Views)
Yes.  I am using the 8451.  I do have the devices plugged into my PC and when I run it as a VI, I can select the devices but when I run it as an executable the drop down becomes unusable.  I am using the drivers that come with the 8451.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(3,686 Views)

I have been testing this out on my system, and cannot see the behavior you are describing.

Do you have another system to test this on?

Can you try using one of the shipping examples to compare behaviors? (From LabVIEW: Help>>Find Examples...>>Hardware Input and Output>>!2C and SPI>>SPI Basic)

Do you have the latest version of the NI-845x drivers

---

Peter Flores
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(3,658 Views)
I am having the same problem, Did this ever get resolved?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(3,642 Views)

As far as I know, we have not resolved this issue. Did you try the suggestions in my previous post?

Can you give more details on the behavior you are seeing and maybe some screenshots? I have still been unsuccessful in reproducing the issue on my end.

---

Peter Flores
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(3,632 Views)

Both my VI and my exe are being run on the same machine. For some reason when I create the Executable, the drop down box does not work. The exe is the window on the left side of the screen shot and the vi is the window on the ride side of the screen shot. Its hard to see but on the exe drop down for the device reference, the arrow is grayed and and you cannot select it. The first pictures shows this. Picture number 2 shows the dummy control labeled Visa Resource Name I can select the different ports. and picture 3 shows that I can select the device reference on my vi. It should be noted the control labeled device reference in all of the screen shots was taken right off the NI8451 controls palet in labview while the control labeled VISA Resource Name was taken off the I/O Pallete. I am using the NI USB-8451 USB to I2C device.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(3,622 Views)
Please don't post bitmap images to the forum.  Just renaming the file extension to .jpg doesn't magically make it a JPEG.  And it looks like A and B are the same image.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(3,618 Views)
sorry about the images. Picture B is just to show that I can select the Visa Resource control on my exe
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(3,616 Views)

Hello All,

Thanks for the screenshots. It looks like there was a similar issue with previous versions of LabVIEW. See this post.

It should be fixed in version 8.5 and later. What version of LabVIEW are you running? 

If interested in upgrading, contact NI. If you have stayed current with your SSP, an upgrade to the latest software is free!

---

Peter Flores
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(3,579 Views)