LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What makes chart go wonky?

So it seem this bug only shows under stress and somehow the UI thread gets neglected.

Not that I would ever recommend that setting, but I wonder if setting the chart to "synchronous display" would make a difference. Just curious.

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 62
(1,453 Views)
Ben, I've sent you the email. Just let me know when you've uploaded your files.
Jeff | LabVIEW Software Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 62
(1,440 Views)

I have passed along that app. I hopes it acts up for you. Smiley Wink

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 62
(1,429 Views)
Ben, I took out the one missing VI and ran the program for 10 minutes. I did not see any wonkiness on any of the many charts, even with logging enabled. Is there something I'm missing?
0 Kudos
Message 24 of 62
(1,402 Views)

JeffL wrote:
Ben, I took out the one missing VI and ran the program for 10 minutes. I did not see any wonkiness on any of the many charts, even with logging enabled. Is there something I'm missing?

Sorry about the false attempt there Jeff.

That code was the pre-delivered version of the app. The actual final version will never see the light of day again*, so I'll just have to find another example. (oh bother!)

Ben

* Running on secure machine inside barbed wire fences and 20 foot crash barriers with armed guards.

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 25 of 62
(1,391 Views)

Here's another instance of chart misbehavior.

This time the average CPU usage was 4-6 %.  The issue with writing the debugging files is gone.

But I switched tabs from one of the text tabs to the charts tab at 20:51:25, so the instantaneous CPU load might be high.

The charts are fed at 2 Hz regardless of whether their tab is showing or not. 

Chart Malfunction.png

Steve Bird
Culverson Software - Elegant software that is a pleasure to use.
Culverson.com

Blog for (mostly LabVIEW) programmers: Tips And Tricks

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 62
(1,370 Views)

Hi everyone,

I'd still be interested in seeing if it's still a problem after the 2009 installation - I'm told there are some graphical improvements (for tabs, too).

What if you modify the programs to use defer panel updates (property node for the front panel)? Are you able to observe the problem regularly or prevent it from happening (i.e. control when the front panel actually updates)?

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 62
(1,331 Views)

What if you modify the programs to use defer panel updates (property node for the front panel)?

I forgot to mention it before, but I am already using DEFER UPDATES.

The DISPLAY event triggers an ACTION in my code, and I defer updates before the action, and un-defer them afterwards.

Here is another shot.  This is an actual test and right about the time the test was over, the display hiccupped.

In this case the CPU was loaded at 6-8 %, although the instantaneous load may have been much higher, since I enable some buttons, disable some buttons, and do other things when the test is over.

The chart doesn't stop when my test is over, although the program switches to a different tab when that happens.  When I switched back, it looked like this, with the messed-up Y gridlines.

At 11:45:14 the test started, 408 samples later would be  11:45:54.8, which is where the glitch starts.

Chart3.png 

Steve Bird
Culverson.com

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 62
(1,299 Views)

I just realized that you are using Vista (I realize now you said that at the beginning of the first post). I'm wondering if it's the difference here.

Ben, do you use XP or Vista when you see this issue arise?

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 62
(1,273 Views)
I saw it on Win2K - I never used XP.
Steve Bird
Culverson.com

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 62
(1,268 Views)