LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the differrance between Labview and Labview SP1 ??

I'm using Labview 2015 SP1
I wonder the differrance between Labview and Labview SP1.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(9,713 Views)

SP1 contains bug fixes to that version. You need an active license to be able to install SP but you don't need it for patches. The fixes included in LabVIEW 2015 SP1 are listed here. Latest patch that you can install for the 2015 SP1 version is f13. The list with the fixes for the 2015 SP1 patches can be found here.

Lucian
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(9,675 Views)

The "silly" answer to your question is "About 6 months".  Like most software products, LabVIEW undergoes Revisions and Patches.  When you install LabVIEW, you are asked if you want to install the NI Update Service, which periodically checks (via the Web, I presume) with NI to see if they have released any "patches" or "updates" (and don't ask me to explain the difference between these terms) for you to install.

Since 2009, when NI started releasing a new version of LabVIEW (such as LabVIEW 2010, LabVIEW 2015, etc.) once a year at NI Week, in addition to the Update Service, they also released (about six months, or half-way through the yearly Major Release cycle) a "Service Patch" (or SP) full version that allows you to reinstall LabVIEW with all of the "latest Updates" included.

Updating a complex software system such as LabVIEW can be a challenge -- you are removing and adding files, changes to the Windows Registry, and a whole lot of other complicated things that have to all work correctly in order for LabVIEW to continue to work after the Update.  For this reason, the LabVIEW Update Service, if you choose to install it with LabVIEW, generally only notifies you of "Urgent" updates.

So if you want to install LabVIEW shortly after a new Version is released, you (of course) install the new Version.  But if you want to install LabVIEW half-way through the release cycle, you may decide to install an already-pre-built-and-patched "Service Pack 1" (or SP1) release, and get the code with all the patches installed and tested.

For what it is worth, I have heard many experienced LabVIEW developers say that they tend to avoid updates and do not install SP1 versions.  My personal advice (having been through several instances of LabVIEW Installation Hell, especially in the past 2-3 years) is to "install the latest version and be cautious about updating".  So if this is your first installation, and an SP1 version is available, it is probably safe to install it, but if you are using, say, LabVIEW 2019 and it seems to be working fine, there is no compelling reason to install LabVIEW 2019 SP1 "on top of it".

Bob Schor

Message 3 of 3
(9,653 Views)