From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to create shared variable for multiple PXI(Real-Time) to GUI PC?

What is the best way to create shared variable for multiple Real time (PXI) to GUI PC? I have 16 Nos of PXI system in network and 1 nos of GUI PC. I want to send command to all the PXI system with using single variable from GUI PC(Like Start Data acquisition, Stop data Acquisition) and I also want data from each PXI system to GUI PC display purpose. Can anybody suggest me best performance system configuration. Where to create variable?(Host PC or at  individual PXI system).

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,278 Views)

Either.  For the best performance, you need to determine what that means.  Is it more important for each PXI machine to have access to the shared variable, or for the host PC to have access to all 16 sets of variables?  If you have slowdown or issue with the network communication, what kinds of problems would it cause for each machine?

You want to located the shared variable library on whatever machine is more critical.  That is probably each PXI machine, but only you know your application.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,276 Views)

Dear Ravens,

I want to control real-time application from host(Command from GUI PC to PXI).Host PC should have access to all 16 sets PXI's variable. During communication failure with PXI, Host will stop data display for particular station.

@Ravens Fan wrote:

Either.  For the best performance, you need to determine what that means.  Is it more important for each PXI machine to have access to the shared variable, or for the host PC to have access to all 16 sets of variables?  If you have slowdown or issue with the network communication, what kinds of problems would it cause for each machine?

You want to located the shared variable library on whatever machine is more critical.  That is probably each PXI machine, but only you know your application.

@Ravens Fan wrote:

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,270 Views)

@Paresh wrote:

Dear Ravens,

I want to control real-time application from host(Command from GUI PC to PXI).Host PC should have access to all 16 sets PXI's variable. During communication failure with PXI, Host will stop data display for particular station.

Yes.  I understand that.  That is the nature of a communication failure.  So if the communication breaks down, which machine (PXI or host PC) do you still want to have access to the shared variables?

Note, you could also have the shared variables hosted on both machines so that the shared variables on the host PC are linked to the shared variables on each of the PXI machines.  But you could still have a communication breakdown which breaks the link between the shared variable libraries.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,268 Views)