LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is a dynamic array?

As titled, What does it do? How do we go about working on a dynamic array on plotting on a XY Graph. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,694 Views)

Sometimes it may possible that exact number of elements in an array cannot be determine at complie time but will be deternime at run time. Hence in that case dynamic array is used.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos are always welcome if you got solution to some extent.

I need my difficulties because they are necessary to enjoy my success.
--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,686 Views)

Hmm do not really understand what you meant. Care to explain more and in-depth?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,669 Views)

A dynamic array is basically a random access growable or resizable array to which you can elements and from which you can delete elements. It is important to note that it is different to a dynamically allocated array as the dynamically allocated array has a fixed size.

What ranjeet is saying is that, during compile time, where more elements could be added to or deleted from an array, it may not be possible to determine the size of the array as the adding/deletion could be 'happening'. During run time however, all the data would have been added/deleted and hence we will know the size of the array. This is an instance where the array used could be a dynamic array. I think that is what he meant.

This thread shows how to do the plotting on XY graph http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/dynamic-data-displayed-on-xy-graph/td-p/246730

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,658 Views)

here is the best explanation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos are always welcome if you got solution to some extent.

I need my difficulties because they are necessary to enjoy my success.
--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,655 Views)

@Deathy wrote:

As titled, What does it do? How do we go about working on a dynamic array on plotting on a XY Graph. 

You need to be more specific. Where did you see that expression.

(LabVIEW also has "dynamic data", which is probably something completely different).

XY graphs tak a large varity of datatypes (array of xy point clusters, cluster of x and y arrays, complex arrays, etc). If the array size should change often, I prefer to use complex arrays for the diagram simplicity.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,618 Views)

My lecturer gave it to me as a suggestion for plotting mouse coordinates on XY Graph. But this is my first time hearing about it, so i got no idea what does it do? how to even make it in the first place etc.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,583 Views)