cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is Timebase in Oscilloscope?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello everyone

I am using oscilloscope (Tektronix MSO5104B). In the driver, I doubted that How the configure Timebase.vi used for? In this vi has 3 items: Timebase, Record Length, and Position. If I want to change sampling rate of oscilloscope by using LabVIEW, Can I set from these item? Or If you have any way better, Please suggest me 🙂

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(7,687 Views)

Timebase = sample rate, in this case Seconds/Sample

Record Length = number of samples to read

Position = where you want T0 to be in the display, this is also often called "Delay"

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(7,624 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nxxtxxcaa

A little Oscilloscope 101 is in order here: 

In a traditional analog scope, the time base is the frequency the scope is sweeping the beam across the screen and is measured in time/division on the screen

For a modern digital scope: The combination of sampling frequency and record length forms the time base of an oscilloscope.

But chances are the sampling rate is set by a different VI than the one you showed.  Modern digital storage oscilloscopes are still oscilloscopes not raw DAQ hardware. So sample rate while tied to the time base is still somewhat independent. Therefore may not be included in your Horizontal vi but in some other "lower level vi" or advanced configuration vi.       

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(7,603 Views)