LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What architecture and good practice should I use for a massive application.

@Mark_Yedinak wrote:

@VinnyAstro wrote:

@crossrulz wrote:

@VinnyAstro wrote:

I completely forgot that Labview features a Navigation pane, it's gonna save my life 😄

Just let me state that if you find yourself using the Navigation pane, 99% of the time you are doing stuff wrong.  Stuff wrong usually include the architecture (maybe use a State Machine or a Queued Message Handler) and/or not enough modularity (ie subVIs).

That's a nice summary.

Unfortunately I am inheriting someone else's program, so I'll have to deal with it.

I would have a very hard time keeping that code. I would most likely throw it away and rewrite it. Good luck to you. Sorry you have to deal with that.

I will have too haha. Saddly, it is working, and I don't have time to redo it completely. I just need to improve it a bit and make sure it still works for the next application.

0 Kudos
Message 31 of 32
(329 Views)

@VinnyAstro wrote:

@Mark_Yedinak wrote:

@VinnyAstro wrote:

@crossrulz wrote:

@VinnyAstro wrote:

I completely forgot that Labview features a Navigation pane, it's gonna save my life 😄

Just let me state that if you find yourself using the Navigation pane, 99% of the time you are doing stuff wrong.  Stuff wrong usually include the architecture (maybe use a State Machine or a Queued Message Handler) and/or not enough modularity (ie subVIs).

That's a nice summary.

Unfortunately I am inheriting someone else's program, so I'll have to deal with it.

I would have a very hard time keeping that code. I would most likely throw it away and rewrite it. Good luck to you. Sorry you have to deal with that.

I will have too haha. Saddly, it is working, and I don't have time to redo it completely. I just need to improve it a bit and make sure it still works for the next application.

It's not working, it tells the computer what to do. There's a difference. Code that 'is working', works for humans and the computer.

Of course, budgets and other limited resources can be valid arguments not to do it.

You're lucky, it doesn't seem to be a lot of code. Refactoring should take days, maybe weeks but not months.

Message 32 of 32
(325 Views)