LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Tool Tip issue

I just had this weird toll tip issue where the tool tips suddenly started only displaying on LEAVING the control they were attached to.  Even weirder, it even affected executables built before I had this issue.  So, you think maybe fooling with the options concerning tool tips might help, but nope.  The issue also survived computer reboots.

To see if it happened to new tool tips as well, I created a tool tip for a control that never had one before and it worked fine.  Then all the other tool tips in all my other projects and already-built executables starting working properly again.  What's THAT all about???

Oh, it was confined only to my computer.  Executables built from my dev environment, but deployed/installed on other machines were unaffected.

LabVIEW 2014.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,534 Views)

You sure now how to pick them...

A long shot (LV7), but any decorations involved? Seems to be kinda similar, tt showing when hovering a control without tt.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,506 Views)

Hmmm, I do have the controls sitting on decorations.  But then, the control that I added the new tool tip sat on the same decoration also, and just making a new tool tip seemed to fix the behavior.

If I moved the cursor off the control that the tt is associated with, and the tt is displayed.  Hover over that control and is disappears.  The tt "flashing" part described in the other thread seemed familiar, though.  The "flashing" is actually due to you moving the mouse cursor over a control that doesn't have a tt.  The tt is displayed as you move over empty space, then disappears when you mouse over a control that doesn't have a tt.  If the two controls are close together, it appears as a brief "flash".

It was very surprising that this problem (and the cure) affected executables (on my PC) that were already built, suggesting some kind of universal behavioral change.  I'm going to call it some kind of corruption causing some Boolean to flop causing the tt logic to flip, and it doesn't get fixed until you make a new tt.  (Or the glitch happens again, and the Boolean flips back to its correct state.)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,484 Views)

I had this behavior with a 2011 app once and it drove ... me ... insane trying to figure it out (didn't take much to tip over that edge). Haven't seen it since.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,445 Views)