LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual COM port Communication and Instrument Control

I have one of my USB device which is basically a B Mode Digital Ultrasound Transducer. When I connect it with my PC, it is connecting via Virtual COM port (I can see it in NI MAX). Now what are the way that I can program my User Interface for that Hardware in LabVIEW to generate Ultrasound Image?

What I got is 

http://www.ni.com/webcast/1434/en/

In this tutorial for USB control shows the steps, but I think it is not applicable as in my case, it is using a Virtual COM port.

Please suggest "where to go" form here?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 26
(4,105 Views)

Hi meBaga,

start with the example VI "Advanced Serial Read and Write"...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 26
(4,102 Views)

In this case, do I need to develop the 'LabVIEW Plug and Play Instrument Drivers' ?? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 26
(4,070 Views)

I don't think so. (But I didn't w-a-t-c-h that video...)

D-a-m-n forum software. Now you can't even w-a-t-c-h videos provided by NI!)

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 26
(4,054 Views)

The actual thing is that, nothing is happening while using that example VI. And I think this is not that much easy. We need to communicate with the instrument, instruct it to do some operation, after doing that operation, it will return the RAW picture data value. how it will be possible without the instrument driver !!! 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 26
(4,050 Views)

Hi meBaga,

usually you have a User/Programming Manual for your hardware.

Just open it, look for the commands needed and read how to parse the answers given by the hardware...

Yes, you need to write some kind of instrument driver. But that doesn't need to be some kind of "plug and play". All you need is to send the correct commands to the device and to read the correct answers...

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 26
(4,043 Views)

The device does not came with that manual and it is not also available in the manufacturer's website. OK, I will ask the sales person for that manual, but I hardly think that they will provide it ! as it is their propitiatory product.

In that case, is there any way?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 26
(4,039 Views)

Hi meBaga,

when the manufacturer doesn't provide a manual how will you use it's device?

When the manufacturer doesn't provide a programming manual how can you use that device with any programming environment?

Why would someone buy devices without getting proper documentation?

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 26
(4,032 Views)

This is basically a Ready for market Product. We have purchased that. Now we want to develop something more onto it. Do some signal processing, error handling and other corrections and make a better user interface.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 26
(4,030 Views)

Hi meBaga,

Now we want to develop something more onto it. Do some signal processing, error handling and other corrections and make a better user interface.

Then you need to talk with the development department of that manufacturer to receive more in-depth information...

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 26
(4,024 Views)