LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vi stays open after closing the project.

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I have a LabVIEW project in which I have 3 different cRIO types (so 3 RT parts with corresponding chassis and FPGA). There also is a chassis connected directly to the "my computer" section. In the RT parts I'm using classes.

The problem I'm regularly facing now is simply that when I close the project, LabVIEW keeps a number of vi's still open in the background. Then I have to completely close everything including the LabVIEW welcome window to finally get those vi's out of memory.

I need to close the project because I'm using classes in all 3 RT parts and you can not seriously edit classes when they are used simultaneously in different RT parts... (this is a known issue and I already read some information + explanation why this is.)

Do any of you guys have the same problem? And what could I do to avoid this problem? (No, I don't like the idea of creating 3 different projects, one for each RT btw... But if this is the only way, I'll learn to live with it 🙂 )

Thanks for your input!

Kind regards,

Filip.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(3,952 Views)

Can you share project explorer image showing 3 RT target and chassis. At least a block diagram image would also help. 

You must have all RT vis designed to have communication between them to stop all vis when stop command is issued. All RT vis are required to execute stop states gracefully exiting condition loops otherwise you could have problems that you are facing. 

ATE and Labview Consultant
https://www.easybodge.com
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19
(3,903 Views)

@k-waris wrote:

Can you share project explorer image showing 3 RT target and chassis. At least a block diagram image would also help. 

You must have all RT vis designed to have communication between them to stop all vis when stop command is issued. All RT vis are required to execute stop states gracefully exiting condition loops otherwise you could have problems that you are facing. 

LOL - we're trying to get wean the users off of uploading pictures!  😄

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(3,886 Views)

My guess is  you are not applying the changes made in one context (target) to the unopened copies in another context.  Save all this project, close all this project and then close the project is the required workflow for this situation. 

Try it and report back

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(3,883 Views)

Hi k-waris,

It's not that vi's are not stopping. It's that when I close the project, they didn't unload out of the memory. So for example, I close the project, it's going to ask me to save a number of vi's. Then when I close the "Welcome screen" of LabVIEW, it asks me ?again? to save some other vi's that were used in this project... This is what I find abnormal and what blocks me from editing these classes.

Some more side info: The classes (see screenshot because you asked for it 😉 are actually in an auto populating folder in the main project (My Computer/SubVIs/[RT] SubVIs which I didn't expand as it is too big). Then they are used inside the [RT] Main Sprint4.5.vi as a dependency.

Thanks!

Greets,

F.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(3,854 Views)

Hi Jeff,

I tried the save all procedure twice, it didn't work. I believe that this might be a bug. I'd think that if you close a project, that LabVIEW at least also closes the vi's (or unloads them from the memory). I guess I'll just lose a lot of time closing down LabVIEW completely, editing the locked vi's, then opening the project again.

If there are any other ideas, I welcome them of course! 🙂

Thanks already!

Kind regards,

Filip.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(3,811 Views)

Have you tried to get a list if vis in memory?  Some Frameworks intentionally keep stuff around.   UTF and VIA come to mind. ..

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19
(3,801 Views)

Hi Filip,

I got your concern, as I am also facing same thing with my LabVIEW 2017 project window.

By closing main project explorer window, it should close all the VIs which are opened or in memory along with it. but unfortunately it is not doing it. I also believe this is a bug.

I addition, the weird thing is if you open same type of example(which contain cRIO and other RT stuff) from LabVIEW example finder, that works perfectly fine(it closes all opened VIs along with it). I don't know what is the reason behind it.

Still, I am also looking for solution on this for my project. 😞

Thanks for sharing your case.

Vinal Gandhi, CLA
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(3,764 Views)

I'm quite sure you know this, but just in case, only the VIs belonging to the project will close with the project.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(3,750 Views)

@billko wrote:

I'm quite sure you know this, but just in case, only the VIs belonging to the project will close with the project.

File close all this project will close all vis belonging to a project.  But not dependencies. 

Closing a project closes the project. It does not remove any vis from memory or close any open vis.  That is how it works.  

You should not be opening dependancies.  Put them in the project or leave them alone.   Depancies are reuse code that belong elsewhere like vilib or userlib.   

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(3,748 Views)