From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VLC and LabView 2009

I am trying to use the latest ActiveX VLC v1.1.4 in LabView, and every time I insert the VLC ActiveX Object, LabView crashes.  I've read other posts which noted success by either: 1) using a web browser ActiveX object calling VLC or 2)  finding a unique older version of VLC which doesn't cause their particular version of LabView to crash.

I have yet to find a version of VLC which works with LabView 2009, and I'd prefer not to call a web browser ActiveX component just to play a video with VLC.

Has anyone had success integrating a VLC ActiveX object in LabView 2009?

Thanks,

Stephen McClanahan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(6,476 Views)

Stephen:

I tried it myself, and I can confirm the behavior in both 2009 and 2010. I looked through some old issues with this, and it looks like there might be a chance with VLC 1.0.1.

If you'd like to try it, the older versions are available via the bottom link on the VLC downloads page.

Caleb Harris

National Instruments | Mechanical Engineer | http://www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(6,443 Views)

Hello Caleb,

this problem still occurs, even with LV2011. Since this problem is quite old, and the VLC- player is not a NoName- program, couldn't somebody check the reason for this an fix it. I think, this is worth a LV2011 SP1!

Greets, Dave

Greets, Dave
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(5,873 Views)

just try the attached vi. Maybe this is what you are looking for.

attached is 2010 and lv86 version.

If you don't have Wait Until Next ms Multiple__ogtk.vi  look in the archive or download openg libraries.

cosmin

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(5,850 Views)

Hello Cosmin,

I use VLC 1.1.9 (The Luggage), with this I even can't open your VI, LabVIEW crashes while opening it.

Greets, Dave
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(5,841 Views)

Hi,

I have vlc ver 1.1.4

I will try to get the last version

cosmin

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(5,835 Views)

I've got the 1.1.14 version installed, but the activex is throwing an exception on play.

On their forum there are people complaining of ActiveX issues on other containers apart browsers (VB), from version 1.0.5.

Cosmin

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(5,814 Views)

The VLC API for ActiveX is known to be generally unstable in embedded applications, and support is very limited.  I can only recommend calling VLC using the Internet Explorer ActiveX control.

Regards,

Alexander M || Applications Engineer || National Instruments

ActiveX - VideoLAN Wiki

Driving VLC through ActiveX

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(5,806 Views)

Alexander,

Is there any improved support for the Windows Media Player ActiveX container then?  I lose control of the container bounds when WMP is playing.  As soon as WMP is set to play through ActiveX, it resizes the container automatically.  This has been reported over many different posts which is why I was attempting to use VLC in the first place.  Any advice on workarounds or alternatives is appreciated.

Thanks,

Stephen

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(5,804 Views)

Hi Stephen,

this is one of the reasons for me to change to VLC- player too. Another point is, that WMP doesn't update the view when a new "CurrentPosition" is set. So, it is not possible, to step frame by frame through a movie.

VLC player worked fine for me until version 0.8.x, but you cannot tell customers, to install an outdated version.

Greets, Dave
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(5,790 Views)