From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA

I am trying to send a trigger signal out of my PXI 8108 controller to an external device. I know that the new version of Labview/VISA does not support this feature but I am using Labview 2009 and I should be okay. I was wondering what I should select for "VISA resource in" and "VISA resource out". I am very new to VISA. I really appreciate any suggestions...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,459 Views)

You want to send trigger from which interface?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,413 Views)

Thank you for your reply. I'm kind of new to this "trigger out" topic using "VISA" . I am not sure what you mean by "from which interface" 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,407 Views)
Which PXI trigger are you talking about? What feature do you think is no longer supported? Provide a link.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,404 Views)

I am trying to send a trigger signal out of PXI 8108 SMB connector to an external device. I checked the PXI 8108 manual and it says that is possible. But I was told that there is no programming setup that uses the SMB connector as a trigger in newer versions of LabVIEW. Apparently only VISA in the earlier version of LabVIEW like 2009 can do this. I have the old version of Labview that supports this SMB trigger out feature but need to know how to do it.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,391 Views)
You were told?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,386 Views)

I filed a service request for "trigger out from PXI 8108 SMB connector" and the application engineer told me that "Unfortunately there is no programming setup that uses the SMB connector as a trigger in newer versions of LabVIEW. The only supported code was the example I sent that uses VISA in the earlier version of LabVIEW. This feature was removed in later versions because the signal was repurposed as a Watchdog trigger. You will need to get a Timing and Synchronization Module to perform the trigger you need. I would suggest looking into a PXI-6653"

I have Labview 2009 and I would like to know if I can send a trigger signal out of PXI 8108 SMB connector to an external device using VISA. I appreciate any advice.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,371 Views)