LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA resource can't find GPIB

it is a National Instrument GPIB-USB-HS. but in the VISA resource name, there is no GPIB.

I used the Agilent Connection Expert to check, it says 'there was a communication failure'.

How to solve this problem? Thanks!

GPIB.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(4,818 Views)

the GPIB is connected with a power meter. I have the Labview driver code, but I can't find the resource name.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19
(4,815 Views)
Why on earth would you use an Agilent utility for NI hardware? Please use MAX and provide the versions of NI-488 and NI-VISA. Delete all Agilent software.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(4,800 Views)

I thought the Agilent Connection Expert was just to check if the device is connected with computer.

Could you tell me how to check the versions of NI-488 and VISA please?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(4,795 Views)
They are listed in MAX under 'Software'. You installed them yourself, didn't you?

The connection expert implies that you might have installed Agilent 488 and VISA and that would be just wrong.
Message 5 of 19
(4,784 Views)

they are NI-488.2 3.1.1 and NI-VISA 5.3

I tried to use NI-MAX but whenever I click the 'devices and interfaces', the software crashes....it is NI-MAX 5.4 and I use Labview 2012.

Do I need to delete NI-MAX and install it again? or is there other way to check the connection of GPIB?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(4,773 Views)
Crashes how? Yes, you could try doing a repair first but it may require uninstalling all of the hardware drivers.

There are also newer versions available.
Message 7 of 19
(4,768 Views)

the MAX spends many many minutes searching, and when I click on the software during the searching, it becomes 'not responding'.

is finding GPIB related to the version of VISA? I'm trying to synchronize the laser (serial) with a power meter (GPIB). the VISA resource name list can find COM1 but no GPIB. do I need to delete all the NI softwares (Labview, VISA, MAX) and install them again?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(4,758 Views)

by the way, I also have an Agilent 82357A USB/GPIB interface, and a PROLOGIX GPIB-USB controller. but none of them can be found at VISA resource name list.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(4,756 Views)
Finding the GPIB controller and any instrument is related to NI-488. VISA is an api on top of that but is not required though you'll need it for the instrument driver.

No, there should be no need to uninstall LabVIEW. MAX does not care If its installed.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(4,753 Views)